Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



A Proud Parent Promises to Work Her Own Program
Posted by:Sally--Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Front of shirt: Click 'read more' to see back.

It is necessary for me to start off each and every new day with the following promise to myself: I will remind myself that I am powerless over my sons addiction and promise to work at staying in control of my own life. I will pray each morning that I do not enable or act in a co-dependent manner.

Even though Rocco and I were weary yesterday and things looked bleak since Cisco walked away from his program and we did not know where he was, I felt a calmness from within. I know the source of that calmness came from God.

Cisco is now safe. Lloyd spoke with Cisco last night and Cisco told him he would meet us at our bi-weekly meeting at Second Run. I was not 100% certain that he would show up, however, Rocco and I got a good nights sleep. We stayed in our regular routine this morning and around 10 o'clock, Cisco called to ask if he could stop home and if we would drive him to Second Run.

I had a hard time facing the previous relapse that Cisco had. I think this one was harder on Cisco. He seemed embarrassed to face the men at Second Run who are diligently working their own programs.

The meeting went better than expected. Tom has a way of dealing with Cisco that is so effective. He is by far the best 'counselor' on addiction that Cisco ever had.

Cisco is going to a rehabilitation facility for a few weeks until he is detoxed.

Then he will have a chance of getting back into Second Run; the men who live there will have to vote on it. There will be a meeting and they will talk with Cisco and then make their decision. I got a first-hand glimpse at how AA and NA truly work. These men hold each other accountable. Some of them may be rough around the edges but they have hearts of gold and they care about each other.


I am proud of Cisco. Addiction is a very tough disease to handle and he is handling it well.
Share

2 comments:

Joy Y. said...

This resonated with me, Sally, as it probably did with many that read this page:

"It is necessary for me to start off each and every new day with the following promise to myself: I will remind myself that I am powerless over my son's addiction and promise to work at staying in control of my own life. I will pray each morning that I do not enable or act in a co-dependent manner."

Given that the Prodigal has been AWOL for 2 days and has 11 days to get resume negative drugs tests (been + for TCH) or face the reality of needing to find someplace else to live until he does, I need to remind myself WHY I am doing this.

Lloyd Woodward said...

Sally, this post has a powerful message. It inspired me to design this T-shirt. I did it online and found that it can be purchased for around $22.00. The color of the shirt and of the lettering can be changed. If we order more, the price drops a little. Thanks Sally, for this great post.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.