Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Do Not Be Afraid - A Poem by Violet
Posted by:Sally--Thursday, October 28, 2010

As I left our Gateway meeting on Tuesday…I had a lot on my mind…I just WASN’T COMFORTABLE with all of my feelings…and I needed to reflect on my own inadequacies….which is much easier than reflecting on my attributes…but let’s save that for another time…

I had received a jury summons and spent today in court…again….as the mother of an addict it brought back many memories of days and days and more days of just bad feelings…..but NEVER THE LESS it was serene to be on the other end of it all…I got picked for the jury…imagine that…they think I am stable… and the trial will be continued tomorrow…I think there is some message here for me….but it hasn’t become quite clear yet….so, I had time to write a thought not just my son but all of you that have become so dear to me.


Do Not Be Afraid

Do not be afraid for I am here….

I share your sadness, I have lived your fear….

Addiction has robbed us of what use to be….

This disease has no cure, we will never be free..


But together we will stand to battle this plight…

I will not succumb, I will continue to fight….

I strive for some normalcy with new friends that will last…

Ones that don’t judge or dwell on all of the past….


I will help you remember that today is a gift…

I will be your strength when all you need is that lift…

Remember you don’t have to be perfect all of the time…

But If you should fall, please get up and continue the climb…


Don’t reflect on all of that things that just should be…

For you have chosen to live, and today that is enough for me….

So don’t be afraid of that road ahead…

I will be your warrior against addiction that just wants you dead…


This disease of addiction is strong but it is not the end….

For I have learned the fighting tools from all my new found friends..

I do believe that there must be a plan….

It’s right now, it’s to hard…I just don’t understand…


But no matter what doubts cloud your mind with fear….

Just open your eyes…look around….yes it’s me…always here…

My hope for you is someday I can be….

The strength and courage, you are to me….


In the abyss of addiction that has made things so unclear….

I will never leave you so release your fear…

Do not be afraid for I am here….

To all of you that have become so dear….


Thank you my friends for the life-line….I am holding on so please don’t let go….

Violet
Share

1 comment:

Lloyd Woodward said...

Loved the poem. Makes you think. Thanks for sharing Violet.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.