Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



A Quote by Samuel Clemens
Posted by:Sally--Monday, March 19, 2012

At a recent office meeting I was talking with one our therapists about kids and sons in particular. She has three grown sons and shared this Mark Twain quote with me:

On the topic of raising teenagers, Mark Twain advised, “When a boy turns 13, put him in a barrel and feed him through a knot hole. When he turns 16, plug up the hole.”

I know many of us feel this way with our addicted teens! If we could just put them in a barrel maybe until they are in their twenties when hopefully they will have finally "gotten it" and then turn them loose in the world. Wilma

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They called it teenage pms, except I am a male. 12, family said I started acting strange. 13, they said that I am on my "he pms". I was like "huh....?" Then at 16 and a half, holy crap my mind spiraled down into the depths of fiery cold teardrop misery. Now 18 almost 19 I am still crazy, but much better than 17, not where I want to be though, so it is discouraging to the point where I say "meh, I'm a little better." I started thinking at 16 and a little over a half years old that I should just stop thinking all thoughts until the worst of the storm had passed over to protect all good thoughts from becoming corrupted. Now I see it's just brain chemistry. Now I am fully convinced that I agree on psychologist's 25 year old adult diagnosis. Previous of age 16 1/2, or a little older, my worst moments sub 16 were experienced in an overall healthier genuine way than my best moments post 16, this is the best way I know how to describe why all my classmates all of a sudden exploded with uncontrollable rage, and pettiness. Hope everyone grows up ok, God Bless.

Anonymous said...

I feel like this too, but an about to be 19. Irrational thinking is at an all time high naturally, even in a better situation. An looking forward to stabilized brain chemistry and more rational thinking no matter where I end up

Anonymous said...

I kinda feel this way about myself sometimes (18) still

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.