Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



GOT STRESS? - A Court Hearing Followed by a Six Hour Home Pass
Posted by:Sally--Thursday, June 03, 2010

"Stress is simply the adaptation of our bodies and minds to change; and change is about the only constant left in our lives."

It has been a year since Cisco was placed on a Consent Decree and today Cisco was due in court to determine where to go from here. Often when I find myself in this type of a stressful situation and cannot sleep I find writing very therapeutic. So I dare to start off this post with my poem that I wrote when I woke up in the middle of last night.

It is titled: Three O'Clock Thoughts Before a Hearing

Will our lives ever be in place?
Or will our son always be in placement?
Will we live fully in His Grace?
Or are we tied to a chunk of cement?
The cement of society views Cisco as a risk.
They can't tell if he's changed or temporarily fixed.
No one but he knows what is in his heart.
Who knows if he worked out a brand new start?
It boils down to trust and that's a fact.
I want my son home, its as simple as that.


Okay, don't laugh. It is not the best poem but I know a would-be rapper who liked it.
Besides, after I wrote it - I slept like a baby.

After a three hour wait to see the Hearing Officer, things went well. It came down to two choices.

1.) End the consent decree today (which would end the Juvenile Probation services today along with Wesley Spectrum services). Cisco would have to volunteer to stay at Liberty Station until successful completion and have a hearing at a later date on charges including a D.U.I.

2.) Cisco would be adjudicated on a much lesser charge of Disorderly Conduct, Juvenile Probation and Wesley Spectrum Services would continue for an additional six months after the completion of Cisco's stay at Liberty Station. It is possible for Cisco to complete his stay at the halfway house by mid July.

Rocco and I decided we would make a plea for option two. Cisco wanted option one but his dad told him we were going for two. After some discussion and explanation Cisco conceded.

We are so thankful that we had Cisco's P.O. Lloyd there to speak so eloquently on Cisco's behalf. Also Cathy and Kathie of Wesley Spectrum and Tim of Liberty Station were there for support. The hearing officer thoughtfully heard all sides and we walked out of the court room with the lesser charge and our help and support system intact.

By three o'clock Cisco was on his six hour pass from Liberty Station. He was a bit agitated because of the six months of probation and said that he 'hates his life'. I was thankful that he will not have a DUI on his record before he even has a driver's license. We explained to Cisco that the probation will not be a problem if he continues to do what he should do. I reminded Cisco of something Rocco often said to both of our sons. "If you are driving a car and a police officer is following you there is nothing to sweat if you are doing the speed limit and following the other rules of the road."

At any rate, Cisco felt less frustrated after he recorded some music and rapped into his microphone. He made plans for his sponsor and another friend in N.A. to visit and then all three were headed for a meeting. Both of his friends were very nice and polite. This is the first time we met his sponsor and after talking with him I felt very comfortable and pleased that he is Cisco's sponsor.


The evening went well and we tried to keep things light. There was just one incident I'd like to mention:

Cisco sat on the front stoop to "have a smoke". He decided, before we even had to lay down the rule, that he would not smoke indoors anymore. I was pleased about this also.

He asked if he could call a girl from his past who I will call Susie Bee. I said, no. Cisco said, Why? Now here is what followed:

Mom: This home pass is time for you and I to build our relationship. It is not time for you to talk with old friends. I am not saying you can NEVER call Susie Bee but for now the answer is no. I will think on this and we will discuss it later. (Mom walks in the house, glances at second phone and notices that the line is in use.) (Mom goes back to where Cisco is sitting on porch.)

Mom: Who are you talking to?

Cisco: Susie Bee.

Mom: When you get off the phone; we need to talk. (Mom goes inside for a minute and takes a deep breath. She contemplates banging her head against the wall. It might feel good at this point. Instead she takes another deep breath and returns to scene.)

Mom: Cisco, get off the phone now so we can talk.

Cisco: (Says to phone.) I gotta go, Susie Q. I love you, too. Smoochie, Smoochie!
(Mom has queried look on face)

Cisco: Yes, Mom, I called both Susie Q and Susie Bee. I don't see why I can't talk to them. They are not addicts and they help me stay clean. They are my good friends.

Mom: You are not helping me to trust you by disobeying a simple rule.

Cisco: Even Lloyd, doesn't think it is a big deal to call Susie Bee.

Mom: You do not live with Lloyd, you live with dad and I. I made a simple rule and you broke it already.

Cisco: F!!Q - QUE!

Mom: You have very little control of yourself. (Walks away, disappointed.)

Five minutes later, Cisco enters the house.

Mom: May I ask you to set the table?

Cisco: (Sets the table.) I am sorry for swearing at you, mom. Once I get mad, I don't care if you are the president. I don't have control anymore.

Mom: I'm glad you let me know how hard it is for you to keep control if you do not get your way. You need to work on that. I also know I deserve more respect than what you are showing me.

Thanks for reading about my day. Goodnight. Hope to see y'all at PSST this Saturday.

Sally



1 comment:

Lloyd Woodward said...

Thanks for sharing both what it was like for you at Court and what it was like afterwards on Cisco's six-hour pass. I liked your poem very much too.

This is the second time that you have stood up in Court to fight for your son. The Hearing Officer obviously wanted to give Cisco a bit of a slap on the wrist and just end all support, making even his treatment at Liberty Station voluntary. The only reason he did not do that is because you and Rocco strongly objected. You wanted to continue his treatment and continue with the support that has been providing Cisco with another day clean and a better chance to change his life.

You showed Cisco that you will fight for him even though he is hating that right now. I think he showed you that he is prepared to follow only the rules that he thinks make sense- not the rules that you give him. Sure, calling a few old girlfriends is not like robbing a bank or even like getting high, but it is a flag pointing out that he is not ready to allow you and Rocco to be the ones in charge. Also, his old behaviors when confronted were back in a minute.

I like the way you handled the "Even Lloyd thinks it's OK to call the girls" comment in excellent fashion. Of course, I said no such thing to Cisco. Your message to Cisco was as strong as your message to the Hearing Officer: "We are the ones you have to deal with."

Bottom line: you made the correct call in court today.

Lesson for other parents: you get the best help for your teenager when you are an assertive consumer of our Court services. It does matter what you say in Court. No one can fight for your teenager's life like you can and even when you have people around you who are willing to fight for your teenager-they can't do it without you fighting too.

Thanks for the kind words in your post. You know that we all have the highest regard for you, Rocco and Cisco.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.