Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



New Years Resolutions
Posted by:Lloyd Woodward--Sunday, January 01, 2012

Click here to go to original cartoon.

I resolve for 2012...

1. To stop having too large of an opinion of myself. I am not able to answer every one's problems. I am not that powerful even though sometimes I wish... I have to let people struggle with their own problems and offer help only within certain limits, and remember that if I'm trying to work on some one's problems harder than they are working on their own problems, something is wrong.


2. To remember to have confidence in people. When I assume that I'm the only one that can help, then not only have I exaggerated my own place in life but I have cast a vote of no confidence in others. They can rise to the occasion. They will find a way and especially they will find a way if I stop trying so much to find it for them.


3. To have faith that things are working out the way they are supposed to work out. This is part of Desiderada by Max Ehrmann: "Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

4. To set an example for my loved ones by taking better care of myself. I can be healthy, work out more, eat less, offer more love, and still do it while protecting myself with good boundaries from the people that I love. Remember that unconditional love does not mean that I have to be a door mat.

I will remember that it is often better to say "no" and feel the guilt than say "yes" and feel the resentment.

5. To remember to learn from everyone. Everyone has something to teach. I need to focus more on what I can learn from others rather than on what I can teach. It's nice to teach but the lucky ones are those of us that never stop learning. It's ironic that our teenagers are often our best teachers, even though what we learn from them may not always be what they intended to teach.

6. We say it all the time, but this year I'd like to do a better job of accepting things I can't change. When I close a door it helps God know that I need a window.

7.  To remember that the only person I can REALLY change is myself. And no doubt, that is "the universe unfolding as it should."

8. To appreciate what I have. Focus more on that and don't let a longing for what I don't have take over.

"A grateful addict won't get high." Hopefully, a grateful co-dependent won't enable. To finish this thought I once again will quote from Desiderada:

 "Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams; it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful."

9. Don't focus on should-a, would-a, or could-a. My daughter taught me this when she was ten years old but I think I need to work on it some more. Of course I have regrets but I can't wallow in the past without missing the present.

The important thing is did I recover from the mistake, did I admit the mistake, did I make any amends on the mistake, and did I learn enough from making it that I didn't keep making the same one again and again? This is what will show my character.

Dude #1 who just made it into the afterlife: Wow! I think I'm in heaven! Or not. It's hard to tell. What do you think?

Dude #2 who just made it into the afterlife: I dunno. Look at that sign, man!

Sign says: "All ye who would enter here must leave all regrets at the gate. If you can not leave all regrets here, you must carry them with you until you learn to leave them behind."

Dude #1: I knew that was important! Aaaaaaaagh. I tried to leave my regrets, daaarn it I just knew this was important!  Now it's going to keep me out cause I never could quit wishing that things had worked out differently. I made so many mistakes, garsh, what am I going to do now!

Dude #2. Just drop em now. It doesn't look like it's too late!

Dude #1. I used to like that Sinatra song, you know where he casually sings, "Regrets, I've had a few - too few to mention." What does he mean by that? How can he drop em if he can't even mention them? I've got regrets, too many to mention so I never really did get that song.

Dude #2: Well, we've got another chance now to just drop em. I'm going in. I must have done OK if I got this far. Good luck, man, I'm going over.

Dude #1: [watches Dude #2 walk over the threshold and disappear] Ohhhhh crap, I should have gone when he went, now I'm all alone. I don't know what to do I'm afraid I'm carrying too many regrets to just 'drop' them now! Oh darn, I should have dropped these all along like we're supposed to do- now I'm afraid I just have too many. I'll never drop them all right here- but I'm going to try.

[Dude #1 sits down, makes a list of all his regrets. It takes up fifty pages. He reads each one of them and makes conscious decision to let each one go. He even imagines a pair of wings around each regret and he then visualized each regret flying away. Finally, he believes that he has purged himself of all regrets. It has taken three days. He stands up and tries to walk into heaven. He hits an invisible barrier and bounces back, trips and lands on his rear-end. Suddenly he hears Saint Peter's voice.

St. Peter: You are still regretful!

Dude #1: No! I let each and every regret go. I'm sure I got them all!

St. Peter: Just one big one here that apparently you couldn't let go of.

Dude #1: Was it leaving my first wife? That was a HUGE mistake and I paid for that one the rest of my life.

St. Peter: No, you visualized that one flying away- good job on that one.

Dude #1: Was it betting my house that the Pens would win the Stanley cup without Crosby? That one was really stupid.

St. Peter: Nope- you managed to get rid of that one!

Dude #1: Aaaaaaaagh, I don't know, it could have been any one of a hundred! Was it that relationship I had with my secretary years ago?

St. Peter: H'mm, interesting enough, you don't seem to regret that one too much at all! No, apparently, you aren't able to stop regretting that you carried all these regrets with you for years!

Wishing PSST and everyone a challenging meaningful exciting intense year that has enough exhilaration to balance out the disappointing things. I hope you all feel more alive and that each one of you smell the opportunity to find or remember that special thing in yourself that you value.

I wish you all to be surrounded by loved ones when you feel lonely, to be alone when you feel crowded, and to be at peace with yourself and with God, whatever your conception of him (or her) happens to be.

If you would like to share one of your resolutions or comment on these nine, please do so.

5 comments:

Wilma said...

Thanks for this inspiring list.

I know I have a LOT of work to do on 8 & 9. Maybe because this is my son's senior year of high school (if he gets through it) I can't stop thinking how different I wanted it to be for him. And everytime I see pictures and hear stories of kids doing "normal" things like going to Heinz Field for the football playoffs, ski trips, getting college acceptances I can't help but think this is what I wanted for him. He doesn't seem to be missing any of it so I guess I REALLY have to get over it but so far I haven't been able to. He seems happy enough that his life is centered around getting money (I don't know for sure where he gets it all) to buy weed (and I don't what else), getting the drugs, getting high with his friends and doing it all again tomorrow. I am doing what I can to help him but I know that HE is the one who has to really want it and right now he doesn't. So, for now, I will force him into treatment if I have to until I can't and see if any of it sticks. He will be 18 in five months, an ADULT, and anxious to exercise his ADULT rights. so, again, we will see....

Happy New Year to all PSST parents and professtionals!

Wilma

Lloyd Woodward said...

Wilma, you are my hero. You keep doing the next best thing for you son. You didn't choose this lifestyle for him- far from it. You are not responsible for his bad choices.

You are doing the best you can for yourself and for him. Some day he may thank you for all you're doing for him. Or not. Either way, you should know that you are a hero.

Wilma said...

Thank you for the vote of confidence. I sure need it after Bam Bam just left the house calling me a f**&%ng piece of s#!& when I wouldn't give him any money or a check. His new thing is to ask us for a check instead of cash which we have refused to do. I saw a text message on his phone after the first time we wouldn't write him a check telling someone he was going to try and get the checkbook so it's a good thing I keep it on me at all times and locked in my bedroom when I'm home!

Wilma

Wilma said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence. I sure need it after Bam Bam just left the house calling me a f@@*&%ng piece of s#!!.
I refused to give him money or a check and he left with a friend after NOT going to school today. His new thing is to ask for a check if there is no cash. We refused to do this. After the first time I saw a text message on his phone telling someone he was trying to get the checkbook. I told him tonight there is NO WAY I am giving him and his "friends" a check with my banking information. Does he think I just fell off the turnip truck??

Thanks again.

Wilma

Wood said...

I loved this post. I'm struggling with a lot of these things, like accepting that I can't fix everything with my kids and moving on from mistakes -- so I'll try to remember what I said as a 10-year-old. Focus on learning, not regretting. xo

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.