Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Love You Forever - submitted by Wilma
Posted by:Jenn--Monday, January 16, 2012


How many of you have read the book "Love You Forever" written by Robert Munsch and Illustrated by Sheila McGraw??

This is one of my favorite books to buy for new babies. It was given to us when Bam Bam was born and I just recently purchased it for Bam Bam's nephew. Bam is adopted and his sister gave birth to a son in September, so earlier this month I decided to buy a gift. As I figured the new baby was probably inundated with clothes, I bought a few books that were our favorites.

The first time I read this book, Bam was probably a couple months old and I read it to him while holding him in my arms - and cried. As my tears were falling on his face, he kept blinking them away (probably thinking "who the H#!! is this nutcase?!).

But here is the part that I am crying for now: "The boy grew. He grew and he grew and he grew. He grew until he was a teenager. He had strange clothes and he listened to strange music. Sometimes his mother felt like she was in a zoo! But at night time, when that teenager was asleep, the mother opened the door to his room, crawled across the floor and looked up over the side of the bed. If he really was asleep she picked up that great big boy and rocked him back and forth, back and forth, back and forth. While she rocked him she sang: I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, As long as I'm living my baby you'll be."

I still look at Bam Bam when he is sleeping and wonder where is that little boy? Of course, he is way TOO BIG for me to pick him up, but I wish I could pick him up again and rock him in my arms and smell that baby smell. That of course has been replaced by the smells of Copenhagen, Marlboros and weed.

My hope is that SOMEDAY he will come back to me. I miss the old Bam Bam, and even though he is really mad at me now, maybe at some point we can have something of the relationship we once had.

Wilma

5 comments:

Cheryl, Jim, Andy + 3 Stooges said...

Beautiful Wilma...you have put into words what all the parents of these substance abusing teens feel.
Stay strong!

Lloyd Woodward said...

What you wrote is so very moving. Thanks for sharing.

We miss our little ones. We miss the wide-eyed wonder, the goodness and the innocence. We miss us back when we could see the world through a child's eyes. It looked a world of wonders and we were filled with hope for them and for us.

Now we struggle with fear and despair. Don't give into to despair- that's what PSST is for. Everyone together keeps hope alive.

Your teenager is still inside that "alien" masquerading as your son. Be patient. He is going to show himself.

Sally said...

I am also a fan of Robert Munsch and his tender book "I'll Love You Forever". It is one of my favorite children's stories.

I just read that Robert has been fighting mental illness and addiction for over 25 years. See the excerpt from his official website (please read to the end, his last paragraph is timely for PSST parents)

From Robert Munsch Official Website:

NOTE TO PARENTS

I am a storyteller. I write books for kids, I talk to kids, and I listen to kids.

But that is not all that I am. Several years ago I was diagnosed as obsessive-compulsive and manic-depressive. Those challenges have led me to make some big mistakes.

I have worked hard to overcome my problems, and I have done my best. I have attended twelve-step recovery meetings for more than 25 years.

My mental health and addiction problems are not a secret to my friends and family. They have been a big support to me over the years, and I would not have been able to do this without their love and understanding.

I hope that others will also understand. I hope that everyone will talk to their kids honestly, listen to them, and help them do their best with their own challenges.

Anonymous said...

Sally,

Thanks for this quote from Robert Munsch. I never knew.

Wilma

Home Alone said...

I can't even look at this book without crying, as I am doing now.
This is so hard, when does it end. PSST was my first support group. I have moved on now to others. All of you remind me to keep that "h" word, HOPE, which I have lost and found over and over again. One day at a time.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.