Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Bam Bam Goes to Court - by Wilma
Posted by:Sally--Monday, January 09, 2012

BAM-BAM HAS HIS DAY IN COURT - By Wilma

Well today Bam Bam had another hearing in court again for ACT 53 and the charges we filed.

The paperwork we had gotten in the mail for the charges said it was for a "Pre-trial" conference. We had this in November and nothing really happened. I thought it would be the same today and that we would have to wait another couple months for some action but fortunately it wasn't.

Bam was not happy and his face showed it but he did not have any outbursts in court.

The cast of characters included the judge, TWO attorneys for Bam - One for ACT 53 and one for the charges, a D.A., the P.O., me (Fred stayed in the waiting room), our H.S.A.O. coordinator and the ACT 53 case manager.

I was prepared, after talking with ACT 53, that Bam most likely would not be going into placement as his dual dx program had said in a letter he was making moderate progress. Also, our judge doesn't like to send kids to placement. (I wish we had Judge Daisy from PSST)!

There was a lot of back and forth among the lawyers and the judge. The lawyers and PO had a few things more to iron out and the judge left for a little break.

Then he came back and we continued. The DA really wanted to send Bam to placement however the P.D.'s and the judge really didn't want that. They got testimony from ACT 53 and then asked me to speak.

I led with the statement that Bam was out of my control and that I was fearful for our lives. That got notice from the judge and he asked me to continue. So I went through the Thanksgiving weed ordeal and how Bam told me if I didn't give him money to pay people for the weed they would kill/hurt him and me. I talked about how Bam IS NOT following any guidelines from when we were in court before, mentioned him becoming verbally abusive when I wouldn't give him money or a check.

I was asked EXACTLY what Bam said so I told them how he called me a f##ng piece of s#!!.

I also talked about the text messages on his phone that seemed to me that he not only is using but dealing. I also explained that he isn't going to school like he is supposed to. I mentioned the "x-box/i-pod incident" from April where Bam told us people might be coming to shoot us and our house so we took him to file a police report.

I also said that I was concerned that Bam is using weed and I don't know what else and taking (5) psychiatric drugs.

The judge was not happy with Bam and made it very clear to him. I was asked what I thought would happen today and I did say I thought with everything that was happening Bam would go to placement but you could tell that IS NOT what the judge wanted.

The DA tried many times to get that to happen. She did seem very convinced that he was in trouble. I wonder if the police would have done something when I found the weed and took it to them if it would have made a difference?

There had been some talk about the ankle bracelet so when they said Bam wasn't going to placement I asked if he was getting an ankle bracelet and the judge ordered one.

So the verdict that came down today is that Bam Bam is going to have a consent decree, probation, an ankle bracelet, court ordered D&A re-evaluation, community service, some fines to pay and court ordered family based counseling.

We were supposed to have family based counseling before this but I found out last night that Bam wouldn't give permission to his outpatient counselor to fill out the form for referral. Even though the judge said at our last hearing that we were supposed to have it.

Bam-Bam was ordered by the judge to have a drug test before we left court. When we went for that Bam was saying of course he couldn't do it. As we had to wait for the male screener he said he was hungry so I took him to the little cafe.

When we came back he said he just wanted a positive and to not have the test but he was told no way. Then he asked if he could just go talk to the judge! I thought we were going to be there until 4:30 but someone said he had to do it or go to Shuman.

Anyway, I was on the phone calling Verizon to set up the line for the ankle bracelet and they came up with an oral swab test which he did. And it was positive.

I could have said I didn't want to bring Bam home but I honestly did not want to get into an ordeal with CYF. I was already drained and exhausted from just getting him to court and going through the hearing. It's so difficult being the parent and the person filing charges.

Yesterday Bam told me and his counselor he wasn't going to court. She told him a warrant would be issued for his arrest and a deputy would come for him but he didn't care.

On the ride home he told me he wasn't going, I said a deputy would come for him and he said he would just shoot him. I asked how was that happening and he told me he could get a gun if he wanted to! (I did tell this to the judge).

I think he was just trying to show he was in control of the situation but thankfully this morning we had no problems getting him to court.

So, for now, we wait and see.

Wilma

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Wilma, you did something tremendous yesterday. I have always been in awe of your steadfastness.
Finally !Bam is officially in the system. Herman started out that same exact route, except he was on high risk home detention (phone calls hourly). You were wise in asking for the ankle monitor.
He may eventually earn himself a higher level of care, as Herman did, and be given a "scholarship" to a fine placement.

Congratulations on your new P.O. !
(I think some card company should make a card specifically for that purpose)

Lloyd Woodward said...

You did the best with what you had to work with and now better things are going to happen for you. If he violates EHM- oh well and if he doesn't then at least you have some measure of control. If he keeps using drugs his Probation Officer will find out!

Very Proud of you Wilma. You may not have got everything you wanted but you got A LOT. And now that you went on record Bam knows that he can not control what you say in court- in a big way. No secrets going on in your house :-)

Jenn said...

Wilma,

You have had to work SO HARD for where you are now with Bam Bam. I hope that your son realizes that he is in control now - he's in control of whether he is willing to follow the rules of the court, otherwise he will face the consequences. The onus is on him, whether he recognizes it or not. He certainly has to understand that YOU will not back down. Congratulations on continuing to fight the good fight!

Jenn

Wilma said...

Thank you all for your kind words. I could not have done what I did yesterday without the guidance, advice and support of everyone at PSST (and you know who you are!). It is tough standing up in court testifying against your own child but if it is the only thing you can do to help him as we said on Saturday "OH WELL". Hopefully he will one day GET IT. He is getting a D & A P.O. which I was happy to find out. Jenn, you are right, now it is up to him. And if he earns that higher level "scholarship" it will be on him.
Now I am going to try REALLY HARD to back off and not be so hyper vigilant with him. Not that I will be keeping secrets but I don't have to be the CSI constantly looking for evidence and clues of Bam's drug use and abuse.

Wilma

Anonymous said...

Good work, Wilma. The reality of testifying is so much more difficult than you can imagine! You've done what you can, but there is no magic to any of this - it will continue to be hard parenting work. You've shown that you are up to the task, and you will continue to be. We are all supporting you.
Best,
Joan

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a journey you've been on this year. You have done an amazing job in following through with the toughest of consequences. We are all rooting for you and Bam.
Brigitte

Cheryl, Jim, Andy + 3 Stooges said...

Wilma - you deserve a cape and a tiara. You are one of the strongest parents I have ever met. Kudos!

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.