Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Sally's Account of Searching for Cisco Parts 1 & 2 & 3
Posted by:Sally--Friday, December 03, 2010


Wednesday, I was busy knitting with a very special group of ladies when my cell phone vibrated and the word LLOYD (Cisco's P.O.) flashed across the digital read out. I knew right then and there it was bad news.

One of the ladies in the room just finished telling me that she saw Cisco at the annual Seven Springs NA Convention a few weeks ago and that he looked great and was enthusiastic about his recovery. So it was quite a shock when I heard Lloyd say "Sorry to have to tell you this, Cisco walked away from Beta House, again."
I felt as if I were in an intense dream.
My two knitting friends took my hand and I started to come back to reality as they said "let us pray". Three of us prayed a very meaningful, powerful prayer asking God to protect Cisco and bring our prodigal son home. I believed that God would do this.


I gathered together my knitting supplies and my nerves and headed home. I called Rocco on my cell knowing for sure that he would say something that would calm me. He did not. He was angry about Cisco's behavior and bellowed "I hope he freezes his @SZ OFF!!"

This set me up to visualize Cisco in a very thin hoodie and wet socks, huddled up under a bridge shaking like a leaf. I quietly said good bye to Rocco and dialed Max, my PSST friend who would certainly understand. She did. She gave me sympathy and support and eventually we both came to the conclusion that even tho' Rocco was being a jerk...in reality he was just handling the situation in a different way.

This set me on the right path again which is commendable; when these crises occur it is best if both parents are on talking terms.

When I got home the phone rang and it was a friend of Cisco's. She asked if she could talk with Cisco because her dad said he stopped by their house about an hour ago. WHAT a STROKE of LUCK.....or was it that sincere, powerful prayer?

At any rate, it was such a comfort to know that Cisco was within walking distance from our house just an hour ago.


Continued from Sally's Account of Searching for Cisco - Part - 2

We knew from the phone call that Cisco was in walking distance from our home. The wheels could be put in motion. Rocco and Lloyd went to visit Chrissie and her grandma to see if they knew of Cisco's whereabouts. I stayed at home and browsed Cisco's facebook account. Since he did not have access to facebook recently I just scanned through all the friends. One name stood out very clearly to me, Angelica! I quickly called Rocco and said meet me at Angelica's, if he is still in the vicinity that is where he will be. So I set out on foot and picked up my pace and reached her house in a matter of minutes. It seemed like a forever wait for Rocco and Lloyd to show up.

I know Angelica's parents but have not seen them for at least a year so it was a little weird to knock on their door and ask if they have seen Cisco. But we knocked on their door and asked and they welcomed us into their home. Angelica exclaimed "This is odd, I was just talking to Cisco on the phone." She offered us the number and we called back. Lloyd explained to Cisco that he could readily go back to Beta House if he turned himself in now and did not use. He said, "Meet me at the intersection of St. James and Tennessee" which was only a short distance from Angelica's.

That is where we met him and that is also metaphorically exactly where Cisco is.

He is at a crossroad. Even though he did not complete the very difficult program at Beta House; He walked away from there with a higher degree of gratitude and maturity.

But where does he go from there? There is an abundance of triggers and drugs abound everywhere. If he walks in the right direction from this intersection he will find recovery.

I got out of the car when I saw Cisco approach and I reached up and earnestly hugged him. I felt contentment. I would sleep peacefully this night.

My son was home.

The next step is a stop at Shuman and a detention hearing.

Continued from - Sally's Account of Searching for Cisco - Part - 3 - The CrossRoads

Cisco met us at the intersection of St. James and Tennessee and the four of us took the drive to Shuman. Cisco has been in and out of placement a lot in the last year. In fact, he has been IN more often than OUT so I was happy to have this chance to talk with him and reunite.

Cisco spent the night in Shuman and on Thursday morning he had his detention hearing. I never saw him sit up so straight as he did when he was in front of his hearing officer. The hearing officer chewed him out and told him he was tired of seeing him in his court. That his P.O. must be a saint to have this much patients with him and that he, the hearing officer, was OUT of patients. Exactly what he said is a blur now, but he talked about some of Cisco's bad habits and it is a funny thing.... even though Hearing Officer Banos was right on the money, no doubt about it, it hurt me to hear these bad things about my son.

At any rate, the Hearing Officer respects the P.O. enough that he agreed with the P.O.'s suggestion to let Cisco try a place called "Beginning the Walk".

So now Cisco had to sit in Shuman until arrangements could be made. Rocco and I visited him on Friday and he was grateful and mature.
We had a Christmas party we did not want to miss on Saturday but we had another good visit on Sunday.
Monday I had course work to complete for my Tuesday evening class so we did not visit Cisco on either day.

It is imperative that the parents of an addict proceed with their life as normally as possible.
Visiting him in Shuman every single day would be enabling.

On Monday evening I came home to a voice message that Cisco was moved from Shuman to a different, some people say - rougher, Juvenile Detention Center. He was not in any trouble; it was normal procedure that when Shuman got over crowded some kids are moved to this center.

Cisco was moved there one other time when he was in Shuman and he hated it there. I was okay with this but when Rocco got home from work and heard the news he felt bad for Cisco.
Funny.... I feel good that Rocco feels bad! That is, I am relieved that Rocco still has feelings for Cisco. After a kid acts up while under the influence of drugs some parents cannot forgive them. Some parents cannot find a place in their heart for them anymore. I surely did not want that for our family.

Today, Cisco had an interview with "Beginning the Walk" and we will soon see if he is accepted.

To Be Continued

2 comments:

Lloyd Woodward said...

Can't wait for part-2.

Max said...

I am always amazed by your and Rocco's courage, tenacity,and team efforts in helping Cisco. You two are real role models for us PSST-ers!

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.