Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Moments that Make a Mother Proud
Posted by:Jenn--Tuesday, June 04, 2013


Graduation with Admiration, ‘Say Cheese’

by Roxie
 
Days before walking down the aisle for a diploma, Lenny was locked in a cell with barely breathing room and wearing those Shuman sandals that make boys feel emasculated. After serving his time, Lenny walked out of Shuman into the auditorium on Friday, May 31stto obtain his High School diploma with twin sister, Lena. 

How many counseling sessions were required for him to finally acquire this goal? They are too numerous to count, with topics so painful that the words are seared in my heart forevermore.

Seeing Lenny and Lena with a cap and gown reminded me of when I held each one on a left and right arm as babies. They were so small that I bought doll clothes for them to wear. Now, Lenny is taller than Roxie and is wearing a real cap and gown, not the petite cabbage-patch clothes they wore for the first month of life.

I’m so proud of both my children, but especially Lenny. He told me while in placement this year that he wanted to repeat 11th grade. After coaxing, counsel, and support, he put his best foot forward and headed toward 12th. The teachers have been our cheering section from the very start. They knew from Roxie’s crying at school appointments, that I wanted the best for Lenny and it included graduation. I begged for them to forgive Lenny for his abhorrent school behavior, and asked for mercy. The school, and God, listened.

During the Turning of the Tassel ceremony, I watched as Lenny moved his cap tassel from the right to the left, indicating that he was an official graduate. For that split second, I saw Lenny blend in with other kids who didn’t rely on drugs. Instead of constantly standing out for bad behavior, he fit right in with successful kids with a bright future. The label, ‘addict’, fell off his back while putting on his commencement robe just for that day.

They say pride cometh before a fall. Well, I felt like I was a participant in the annual Cooper Hill Cheese-Rolling event in Gloucestershire England. A 7lb. cheese ball is rolled down the hill, and the first person that rolls to the bottom is the winner.  
I fell with pride, robustly rolled, and am still waiting for the photographer to say, “Cheese, Roxie!” Lenny, I’m sure, will make me fall again!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Oh Happy Day!! You have to be bursting with pride – it actually happened – your son graduated AND he participated in the ceremony, with all of the appropriate behavior!! And your daughter, who thankfully has chosen a more responsible lifestyle, walked side by side with her brother. Be proud of your children, but be proud of yourself too, for doing all that you could to make this day possible for your family.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.