Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



A BOOK SUGGESTION BY MAX
Posted by:Sally--Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I have recently been able to read for pleasure after a very long hiatus. Like many, when I have stress in my life (read: anxiety regarding my kids) I cannot concentrate on a novel. I can only read materials that pertain to my crisis, like 12 Step info, parenting articles, or the PSST blog! However, at this moment, things are moving forward with my 2 boys Michael and David. I feel centered and strong.

I am happy to say, as a result, I have devoured 2 adult novels over the last few weeks!

One of them in particular resonated so strongly with me, that I want to let others know what a great read it is. It is called "Lit" by Mary Karr.

It is Mary Karr's memoir (a true account) of her life during the time she started recovery from alcoholism. This sounds like a downer, and maybe we all have had enough of this type account. NEVERTHELESS.... it is very funny - Ms. Karr has a razor sharp wit, and she continually demonstrates how skewed her perspective of things were when she was drinking.

Her humor is self-deprecating, and she paints a very interesting portrait of her marriage, school, friendships, and employment through her un-sober eyes. As she gains clarity through sobriety, she shares how that skewed perspective straightens out. She also demonstrates clearly how having a reliable circle of sober friends, a sponsor, and a "higher power" helped her recover.

It is the latter that is a running theme through the book.

A self-described agnostic, she resists the "higher power thing" because she feels hypocritical, silly, uncomfortable, you name it. But very slowly she starts to "let go" when she realizes through her support team that she will move forward if she allows herself to believe the "higher power thing".

This is not about God or religion, but about learning to let go, and realizing you are not in control.

As a parent who works very hard not to enable, we have our own issues with letting go. It was fascinating to read how this cynical non-believer came to believe, while literally laughing out loud at her descriptions of her situation.

By the way - this was a New York Times Book of the Year for 2009!

"Lit: A Memoir" by Mary Karr

2009 Harper-Collins Publishers

Mary Karr’s bestselling memoir is one of the most critically acclaimed books of 2009 —— Lit is about getting drunk and getting sober; becoming a mother by letting go of a mother; learning to write by learning to live.

Click here to see a video of Mary Karr on "Lit" and her "nervous breakthrough"

1 comment:

Sally said...

Thank you for the book review. I am looking forward to reading this one since you said she has a sharp wit. It is so healthy when we see the humor in situations.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.