Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Looking for a Few Good Men
Posted by:Rocco--Wednesday, March 17, 2010

We like bumper stickers. The other day we saw one that read:

“Real Men Don’t Ask for Directions”

Sally laughed at me for laughing at it. Well just let me say that if I ever do get LOST, I will ask for directions. Regardless, until I have crossed more than one state line or burned an entire tank of gas, then I am probably not LOST. I feel that I am going exactly the way that I intended to. I will circle around for hours, while saying things like, "Hey, I know we’re in the right neighborhood. I recognize that 7-11" and "Hang on, it looks like I've found a new way to get there." I will even admit that a few weeks back I “found a new way to get there” while ignoring my GPS.

This tendency has been labeled as a stubborn thing, a pride thing, a “lack of trust” thing, a childish thing or a macho thing.

Whatever it is, it is definitely a “Man Thing.”

About a year ago I had to admit that we were totally lost. We were in desperate need for new directions on how to navigate this whole teenage addiction thing. We have been attending PSST meetings since then. We have learned some new skills, taken back control of our lives and have our son on his way to recovery. We have met a lot of caring and concerned people, both professionals and our fellow parents.

Something that we have both noticed though is that the parent that is attending the meeting is typically the Mom. And that is okay. Nevertheless the meetings usually have about 4 or 5 women to each guy. In addition to the case of the Single Mom there are probably other reasons for the Dads not making it in; work, appointments, younger sisters and brothers to care for and, from our very own experience, not wanting to leave our son and our home unprotected. Hopefully this shortage is not a stubborn thing, a pride thing, a “lack of trust” thing, a childish thing or a macho thing.

We would like to have a few more good men attending our PSST Meetings on Saturday morning from 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. You are cordially invited to sit in, discuss, contribute, consider some ideas, ask questions, express your point of view and help develop some innovative solutions.

Maybe you can even (shudder at the thought) pick up some new directions.


1 comment:

Lloyd Woodward said...

What a nice way to reach out to men! You are right exactly that we usually get more moms and that's OK, but how much better when the mom and dad both come to PSST. Or how about the single guys out there? Let's remember that teenagers love to split parents and when Mom is pitted against Dad the teen may not be held accountable at all.

We see it week after week at PSST, with couples like Sally and Rocco that two can be a big advantage when they work together.

I love the graphics- they put a smile on my face.

Well, let's go guys! C'mon in and join us. You may recognize that 7-11 but it may not have been much help last time either. If you're struggling with teenage drug abuse and you want a new approach, we can help you "find a new way to get there." What have you got to loose?

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.