Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Roxie's Relapse
Posted by:Jenn--Sunday, September 08, 2013

Roxie’s Relapse – Living Life through Lenny
                     by Roxie

 

I never thought I would reminisce on Lenny’s various three-year placements with affectionately fond memories of celebrating his birthdays at juvenile facilities. That was a cakewalk compared to the spiraling relapse that Lenny is currently experiencing. I was told that relapse is part of recovery, but was not prepared for its harsh reality. I’d rather not remember that sobriety is the leading cause of relapse.


Lenny’s twin sister, Lena, has handled his deterioration by picking up the habit of smoking cigarettes. That is something I am grateful for. The smoke is Marlboro and not a new friend named Mary Jane. Last year, that would have been an infraction that would have dire consequences. Not anymore. She’s 18, has a job, and living with an addict brother who has the utmost respect for her. Consequently, neither twin smokes or drinks in front of me. In that and many other ways, I am blessed.

I deal with Lenny’s relapse by repeatedly running away. My mother is 77, so I use that as an excuse to remove myself from the home from early morn until 8pm to ‘take care of her.’ Even mommy asked, while anxiously jabbing in the air with her cane, “Don’t you want to go home?” Premonition is one of her innate Indian qualities, for I certainly did not tell her about Lenny!

I acknowledge that I have become part of Lenny’s relapse lunacy. When his addict friends are hungry, Lenny cooks them dinner quickly while they wait in slobber on my back porch. “They’re hungry,” he stated compassionately, while flipping a burger that looked reddish raw on the inside. I peered through the window and recognized one of the boys from Lenny’s placement days. I almost asked if he wanted cake…. he would eat it, too.

During his current relapse, Lenny used to come home every three days for food, water, and showers. He has become much better since telling him that I talked to the Sheriff and I do not need an eviction notice to remove him. Additionally, I called the local Magistrate to see when a warrant for his arrest for unpaid fines would be issued. “You act like you want one today,” stated the Magistrate’s secretary. “I cannot drop everything and draw up a warrant, but it will be soon.” Since I am unemployed, I wanted to become a magisterial temp, just for that day, while she drafted up the warrant. Even with the law breathing down his sun-drenched neck with numerous ‘hickeys’, Lenny is not fearful enough to change. I need to modify how I respond to this relapse, for it is sheer stupidity to think this is his final setback.

 

Roxie knows to:

  1. Stop feeling that she is the woman who lost her soul; and her soul’s name is Lenny.
  2. Turn up the heat on group meeting attendance, such as Al-Anon, Nar-Anon or PSST, to solidify my own sanity. Church is good, but being with parents in groups who understand is exceptionally better.
  3. Realize that Lenny joining the military probably won’t happen due to him being unable to provide a clean blood or urine sample.
  4. Accept that I may answer the door one day for officials who want to arrest him.
  5. Continue to let Lenny go, but include his famished friends in the release!
  6. Realize that Roxie is not alone in this circumstance.
  7. Talk, talk, talk, to anyone who will listen.
  8. Draw strength from God or your higher power.
  9. A shoulder to cry on is always available, from friends, for the asking.
  10. Understand that between the ages of 18 and 78, there are still 60 years of hope available.

 

Similar to never being prepared for death, one can never be prepared for relapse. Roxie is learning to roll with it, realizing when enabling is happening, and getting rid of that behavior at least on a temporary basis. I even had an unorthodox idea of trying the “if you can’t beat them, join them” method, with me having a few beers with Lenny. I imagined that he would be mortified that I was getting ‘high’ with him and he would become sober out of absolute embarrassment. It would work! Unfortunately, my bloodline indicates that I would befall addiction similar to my Lenny.

 

“The men [Native Americans] have a good and an evil side. Sober they are angels.  Drunk, their evil side comes out, and they are drunk a good part of the time.”

(Mary Brave Bird, Native American Quotations.)

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Roxie,

Sounds like it was cathartic for you to get out some of these feelings. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

Glad that you can look at the situation & see what will be helpful for you to move forward – the first step is always to recognize where we can help ourselves, whether or not we are quite ready to DO all those things that we know will help us.

(And I'll bet your mom is enjoying some of the extra attention she's getting!)

Jenn

Lloyd Woodward said...

When teenagers are in placement, and especially when they have birthdays in placement it can seem like the worst situation in the world. Later, depending on how things are going, you might look back with a different perspective. Roxie, your post does a great job of highlighting this fact. Thanks for sharing.

I think it's very easy for some parents who have been through an ordeal with the courts, placements and drug issues to really hope that once the teenager is off probation things will go more smoothly. Almost as if it's probation that's the problem. The goal becomes how do we get our son/ daughter off probation?

If your loved one was in the hospital you'd look forward to the day when they could be discharged home; however, if you're worried that he really still needed to be in the hospital you wouldn't want him sent home too soon. The hospital isn't the “problem” and that would seem silly if anyone suggested that, but it's not at all unusual for people to come to believe that probation is the problem. Our teenagers sometimes want us to believe that Probation/ placements are holding them back.

Once I was in Court when an over 18 year-old youth told Judge Mulligan that he wanted to get his case closed because “I needed to get on with my life and I have been on probation for years. It's time I was able to move on, get a job, have a life and probation is holding me back."

Judge Mulligan replied, "I'm confused, what is it exactly that you would do if you were off Probation that you can't do now?" Of course there was no good answer to that. The Judge then asked me, “Mr. Woodward, do you understand this young man's concern for getting off Probation?"

I replied, “As I understand it, it is because he's doing the right thing now because he's on Probation. But it would mean more to him if he was doing the right thing, not for probation, but for himself."

Judge Mulligan thought it a very weak argument and when you think about it there are only a few things that people on Probation can't do that people off probation can do: join the military or return to a lifestyle of crime and drug abuse. That's pretty much it. Or move out of the area, you can add that one although that's not what most people want to do anyway.

Usually the more urgent a youth argues for his case closure the more he is planning to be up to no good. I am reminded of a quote from Lady Macbeth, "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."

Having said that, Probation is temporary. It's not designed for someone to be on forever and there comes a time when cases close and rightfully so. Sometimes when teenagers work “without a net” it helps them grow up. Unfortunately, you can't count on that. Some of them hit the ground pretty hard.

Consider too, that in Lenny's case he isn't really working without a net because he can still freely live at home and even bring his friends in for free food. I'm not arguing that that's wrong because each case is different and finding the right way to not enable is up to each family. There really is no one size fits all; however, it sounds as though Lenny still has a net of sorts.

Roxie, I believe that you are in a period where you are still figuring out how best to not enable Lenny. It sounds like you are on the right track.

Unknown said...

Roxie, I have known you probably longer than any other friend you have, and I know the trials and tribulations you have lived through as a single young adult, and the ones you have had to face with your husband and children. You are a strong woman, who has survived life, and will continue making both good and bad choices when it comes to Lenny and Lena, but you will remain strong, for yourself, your husband, your other son and most of all - your grandson. I know that writing this has been theraputic to an extent, and it is wonderful that you are at a stage in your life that you can share. I will continue to keep your family in my prayers, and love you all.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.