Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



The Molly Craze - submitted by Lindy Lou
Posted by:Jenn--Wednesday, January 09, 2013


On my Facebook feed, someone posted a photo of white powder with information about the Molly craze and its dangers. The well-meaning post was meant to educate parents about the popularity of a 'new' drug that is being sung about by many popular musicians that young folk listen to. I thought it was great to get a little D&A education via social networking, but there are quite a few hoaxes circulating out there, so I was initially skeptical. As it turns out, the Facebook post was not a hoax, but it also did not provide accurate information on the drug known as Molly. The post claimed Molly was crack, which is not correct. Molly is a pure form of ecstasy that comes in powder form. Though technically not a 'new' drug, its rapid increase in popularity is recent. Apparently young folk consider it to have minimal side effects, as reported by CNN in the following article



I asked my college-age son Drew if Molly was something he was encountering within his networks. He verified that it was pretty popular and was being taken as capsules. These probably are gel caps filled with the powder. My son assured me that he personally didn't see the point of taking hallucinogenic drugs that mess up your brain. What a perfect opportunity to agree with him and to let him know that from what I was reading about Molly, it would be very, very wise to stay away from it. Messing with brain chemistry has permanent side effects and this, like other synthetic drugs, is of questionable manufacture, quality, and purity.

I can only hope that the resolve he expressed this evening sticks with him when he finds himself in party and concert settings.


Lindy Lou

 

4 comments:

Wilma said...

Recently I have seen Facebook posts on the public walls of some of my son's friends referring to their good friend "miss molly."
About a year and half ago the brother of his great friend Eddie was kicked out of college for possession of molly and another friend was messaging about measuring molly for sale. After seeing those older references to molly I went to my bible, urban dictionary.com, and found out exactly who molly was. Bam has admitted to using ecstasy which scared me. Reading the article scared the #%II out of me. He downplays his use but looking back I think it's possible he and miss molly were better acquainted than he has fessed up to.
Thanks for this informative post.

Wilma

Anonymous said...

Hello, I am a single mom with three children and have never heard of "Molly" until recently. It all started about two months ago when I had confronted my 13yr old son about the amount of weight he was loosing as well as his poor sleeping habits. My son replied with a very volatile response and became extremely angry with me. Shortly after this he began stealing money from myself as well as his grandmother. When we caught on to the fact that it was actually my son who had been stealing money all along, we took action and began sleeping with our purses under our heads. When my son no longer had access to money he then became very violent and tried to hit me while screaming "if I dont get some f#@%$*@ money soon, people are going to be real sorry". Now I was aware of my son smoking pot due to him getting caught with it and despite all the tears I cried begging him to not do drugs, he continued. What I didn't know about was the fact that his demeanor had changed so much as he got so on The Molly Craze.

Anonymous said...

I know all about sleeping with your purse, too. I did that when my son was at home and if he is here for a visit I lock it hidden in my bedroom. I keep things I don't want my son to get in my bedroom with the door locked when he is at home. (I had to replace the door after he damaged it so we put in a stronger door with a better lock) I still have a strong box and a tool box with a padlock to keep medicine, jewelry etc and some evidence also hidden in my bedroom. I have my wedding rings and the few pieces of good jewelry I have in a safe deposit box. And I don't know if I will ever feel as if I can trust my son again. He has been in placements since May 2012 and has been doing better. However, I just don't feel comfortable leaving my purse out or the checkbook on the dining room table when he is here. And we always set the alarm we got a year ago when we leave the house. My son doesn't know the code and we don't have any plans on sharing it with him. He and his friends have stolen from us and I don't trust that he wouldn't share the alarm code with them.

Take Care.

Wilma

Anonymous said...

@Anon 7:54

I'm very sorry for your situation. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but from what you describe it sounds much more like behavior caused by methamphetamine (crystal meth, ice) than by MDMA (molly, ecstacy). The weight loss, the highly addictive nature all sound much more like meth. Please take a moment to research MDMA vs Meth so that you are aware of the differences.

Take care. I wish you and your son the best!

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.