Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Like A Rolling Stone - by Jessica
Posted by:Jenn--Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Bob Dylan’s song “Like a Rolling Stone” really struck a chord with me when I listened to it recently. I have always been a fan, but listening to the youthful, cynical voice of a young Dylan really got me thinking about Herman’s new chapter in his life. Author, Oliver Trager describes the song as “Dylan’s sneer at a woman who has fallen from grace and is reduced to fending for herself in a hostile, unfamiliar world”.  Now I am not sure if Bob Dylan would agree with me, but I feel that the song could easily be about Herman, as well as the “Miss Lonely” mentioned in the song. 
 
Here is the YouTube link if you care to listen (or play along while you read this post)

The chorus, “How does it feel to be on your own, with no direction home, a complete unknown, like a rolling stone” pretty much summarizes my thought processes lately regarding Herman.    The beginnings to the answer of that question were revealed on Saturday.
After 3 ½ weeks of independence, Herman called and asked if he could stop by and go over some “business” with his father and me. I must admit I was a bit concerned about what “business” he wanted to discuss, being that he specifically requested that we stay out of his business. However I threw all caution to the wind, and told him he could come at 5PM, but that we were leaving at 7PM for dinner with friends.
I was upstairs when I heard my trusty Lab, Shuman, viciously barking and Roger saying “sic him”. Concerned that we were being victims of a home invasion, I quickly descended the stairs only to find Herman being held at bay at the door’s threshold by Shuman, his former trusty dog friend, laughing along with  Roger, and his four other siblings.
“Welcome To Our Home”, was definitely not the first thought Shuman was thinking.  I think she also likes the new calm in our home, and was dead set on protecting it.  Shuman did eventually back down, and looked sort of embarrassed, but it sure was funny to see that tableau.
Herman’s first visit as a guest in our home, guard dog attack and all, set the stage that lead into our beginning to find out how Herman “is” on his own, along with starting to work out this new level of relationship with him. Foremost, I think Herman wants our advice and approval, as well as a relationship. The reason for him stopping by was to go over his budget and fill out his 2012 income tax forms. Herman made a point of proudly telling us that he still uses the same hanging folder that we made for him last year. It was pretty much intact with how it was initially filled, minus that pesky junk mail of Probation papers, including his dismissal papers.
Roger patiently assisted Herman with his tax forms, and painstakingly went over the budget again. He advised Herman that 39-40hr/wk.  at $8/hr. was not enough to live responsibly (i.e. planning realistically for expenses). It seems the 2 jobs that employ Herman have cut back on his hours. Roger’s very simple solution was to pick up a 3rd job and work on Sundays. Herman did not seem very receptive to that option, saying he would rather have “chill time” than be a slave to a job. He still cannot afford cable TV or internet, and his food budget is minimal, but he should be able to pay for everything, including his cell phone, if he sticks to the budget/austerity plan. Overall, Roger and I believe he has all the extras that he needs, although he is living pretty much hand to mouth.  Roger and I can relate to initially living on a shoestring while in our first apartments and surviving. The only big difference is that we were not drug addicts. 
Herman admits that he still relies on finding loopholes as a means to get more than what he has earned in life, and does not plan on changing.  We told Herman that he really surprised us when he said he knows we are too slick for him to try any of that loophole stuff on us.  We also agreed with him about us being too slick for him.
This brings up another good point, using the PSST tools is so much easier when your addicted child no longer lives with you.  When you are holding someone accountable, there is very little resentment.  In addition, the break from living in chaos, combined with the sanity that comes when the atmosphere of addiction is not constantly in your face, also does wonders in improving the interactions.  We are no longer “balloonatics” holding on for dear life to that huge Baby Herman Macy’s Thanksgiving parade sized balloon of addiction.
The first few days after Herman left were difficult for me, but two very wise men gave me some sound advice that I frequently keep reminding myself.  Lloyd Woodward, “our wise PO” said, “you have done all that you could do, it is up to Herman to figure out the rest”. The second wise man is my husband Roger, who said, “Now is the time we need to let Herman be Herman, move on and continue living our lives”.  Sort of like “live and let live”.
I know Herman is still using, most likely more than marijuana and alcohol. We informed him that he was not welcome in our home if he is high.   The change in Herman’s appearance is concerning. He has lost weight and is looking very strung out.  We told Herman that he could always count on our advice whenever he asks for it. After all, Roger and my combined ages equals 110 years of experience, which is greater than Herman and his 4 inner circle friend ages  combined. Also adding, that “you don’t get this far in life by being foolish”.
I would be lying if I said I did not miss Herman, because I do. He is one funny kid, and I miss the humor we often shared.  I am however enjoying the cleaner bathroom void of any strange vegetable matter and other various drug debris, a significantly lower water bill, and saving money on food by learning how to buy groceries for the entire family. (It seems I bought a lot of special food for Herman, foolishly believing him when he told me everyone liked it…I have come to find out that they didn’t.) Life in the Rabbit household is very ordinary now, and that is a good thing. We bought new furniture for the living and dining rooms. This was partially because they were  remnants of Herman’s wrath of mayhem, especially the scratched and broken dining room, where so many arguments, many during and after family sessions with his PO and Wesley Spectrum occurred.  Today, I am no longer breathalyzing, testing urine, or scanning for drugs/ paraphernalia, although I did find a few things when we lifted the area rug in our living room (a hiding spot I never checked).   Things are very different now, because this time I THREW THE EVIDENCE IN THE TRASH!!  I, like Herman, am working on forward thinking. 
Herman says moving out on his own was the best thing that happened to him. (Note how it is now HIS idea and we let him have that one.) He said it’s great to be free. But unlike Dylan’s lyric “when you ain’t got nothin’, you got nothin’ to lose”, which I believe refers to living on the streets, Herman has plenty to lose. We just hope that it does not happen. It is very evident that it is a new beginning for Roger and our other four children.  As far as Herman, like the” wise guy” said…it’s now up to him to figure out the rest.

Jessica


No comments:

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.