Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



I Am Thankful - by Violet
Posted by:Sally--Saturday, February 11, 2012


I wanted to share in a somewhat light and humorous way some of the things I have become thankful for as only parents of addicts can appreciate. Not to make light of any of my daily blessings, but that's for another time.

I Am Thankful:

That I moved 60 miles to a new city, left my family and friends, bought another house (my old one was paid for), enrolled my son in a private school in an attempt save his life. (Who knew then, addicts can find drugs anywhere.)

That I have the courage to make the hard choices through all my tears and heartbreak.

That I am not bankrupt from all the theft caused by my son.

That the thieves he brought in my home that robbed me did not harm anyone.

That all the property he destroyed can (eventually) be replaced.

That the bullets fired at my car, on two separate occasions did not harm anyone.


That I was strong (or maybe stupid) enough to physically fight for control of my home and I was not seriously injured. ( I am a professional, do not attempt.)

That the fire that destroyed my new house 18 months after I moved in, while we were sleeping, was not caused by my son and no one was harmed.

That the flooding of my other house (which at the time I had not sold) was not caused by my son and no one was harmed.

That I no longer have to check my son while he's sleeping to see if he's still breathing.

That the overdoses, attempted suicide, dealers and living on the street did not kill my son.

That I will forgive(maybe) but never forget those who pretend my son doesn't exist.

That I am not the only one who has Shuman, the jail, family court, the police, Western psych, Resolve, Probation and various placements in their GPS and speed dial.

That the police no longer know us by our first names.

That even though I live with alarm systems, security cameras, deadbolts and coded locks, I still call it home.

That my boys and I have not totally (although that can be debated on occasion) lost our minds following witnessing the suicides in our lives.

That I still have a job, considering all the days used dealing with the court and placements.

That I no longer want to assault all the "perfect families", who think what to wear to prom is a problem.

That there is medication for my blood pressure, depression, anxiety and stress.

That I understand Addiction is a disease and the 3 C's that go with it.(Didn't cause it, can't control it, can't cure it).

That in our Juvenile system there are professionals that care.

That I have found skills, support and friends at PSST who do not judge.

That as you are reading this you are nodding your head in understanding.

That there is always a chance that tomorrow will bring a new today!!

Violet

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Violet,

Loved your post! Some things made me laugh & others made me want to cry, but what they all reinforce is how much you have been through and HOW STRONG YOU ARE!

Two very special thank-yous in your list are for the caring people in our juvenile justice system, and for the non-judgmental support from PSST friends. Where would we be without them?!

Jenn

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.