Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Finding your own Path
Posted by:Jenn--Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Click here and here to read the story of a father’s struggle to deal with his son’s heroin addiction.  Below are two quotes from David Cooke’s story.

When it comes to addiction there are two victims, the addict who battles with their disease and the families who struggle to understand, cope, and live a normal life.  Many parents commit every ounce of love, time, energy in their quest to save, help, and cure their child to the point where they often have so little left to give themselves or to the point where it nearly destroys them.  It is as if the addiction has taken control over two sets of lives.

I learned how to build boundaries around [my son’s] addiction and define a path for me that helped me live, celebrate, and enjoy my live.  Though I may never be a complete peace with the threat, pain, and loss of his addiction all around me, I have learned that his choices do not define me, his decisions cannot stop me, and his addiction will not destroy me. 
  

1 comment:

Roxie said...

While reading David’s Cooke’s story, I was encouraged by the tenacity and dedication he showed to experience addiction in a different light for 100 days. When a parent realizes that they cannot save their child from the ravages of addiction, it is one of the most devastating, heart-tugging wake-up calls they can endure. There are very few experiences in life that come close, but they do exist and I have dealt with the vestiges of both. While David biked to perform an addictive action similar to his son’s daily ritual, he actually pedaled for inner peace, rode for his hope in a sober reality, and traveled through his own solitude. The thoughtful insight he gained was more precious than him actually becoming a user himself. For this particular father, bike-riding was a road less traveled to experience and concentrate on his son’s addiction. The selfless act resulted in him selfishly gleaning knowledge of what his son struggles with on a daily basis. Understanding his son through a bike ride is as simple, yet as complex, as the first Step of AA and NA. As parents, we may need to similarly think outside of the box when it comes to understanding and helping our addict children.
-Roxie

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.