Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



The Spell Has Been Broken - Part One
Posted by:Sally--Sunday, February 21, 2010


There seems to be a general concensus among the mothers of addicts that I have met; they confess that they are enablers. It seems that it is not just in our feminine make-up but society itself that expects it of us.

Cisco knows I am a softy and why shouldn't I be? He is my son and I love him and want him to be happy......So far, he has been in treatment at Gateway YES for 30 days. We had his ISP meeting this past Wednesday. One of the subjects that came up at this meeting is the question of his aftercare. It is natural that when one sees their child working very hard at a program and doing all that he should be doing, being calm and polite and loving. Reading and studying and praying and working on the 12-steps carefully one step at a time; it is natural to wistfully sigh and say aaaww I want him to come home and do just this at home. Cisco wants to be home so bad and he will be happy. Rocco will be happy and I will be happy.

Will he work his program as well at home? You suddenly recall an incident or two of when your teenager was using drugs and this ugly mental image is your saving grace.

The spell is broken. You realize that you must focus on one particular objective. You know your child needs to stay clean and sober, hopefully forever. You know that you don't have enough experience to draw from so you rely on the experts whose care he is in to recommend whatever treatment they see most fit for your son's recovery.

Cisco wants so much to come home. And I knew that it would be suggested he go to a halfway house called Liberty Station after his stay at Gateway YES to help ensure his success. I opted not to visit him the day before his ISP meeting so that he did not have a chance to beg me with those big, sad, brown eyes. Maybe even beg me to insist to his P.O. and therapist that he should be home with us. I am very fortunate to be married to Rocco, he understood this and did not mind going to visit Cisco on his own. They had a nice converstion and Cisco asked him about coming home but did not plead or beg etc. Hhhmmm, funny how he doesn't plead with Rocco as much.

When we walked into the meeting on Wednesday, Cisco gave me an ink drawing which he made in memory of his grandma, my dear mom who died two years ago. It was carefully drawn and very beautiful so he had me crying before the meeting even started. Cisco was very prepared for the ISP meeting and presented himself very well. He did not like the mention of Liberty Station but we explained that it is not for certain but it is likely that he will go there. He said he will go if we tell him he has to. Toward the end of the meeting I thought it would be easier to stay in control of my emotions if I flip over the beautiful drawing which reminded me of my mom. I flipped over the paper and saw the words......... push me away.
The tears started to fall and I asked if Rocco and I could spend a few minutes alone with Cisco.
After I got control of myself again I let Cisco know that I understood how hard it is to be in a treatment facility and we love him and do not want to push him away. Never the less we will do whatever is best for his long-term recovery. That needs to be our focus.

There are visiting hours on Saturday. Rocco and I were late getting there because we were at our PSST meeting. Cisco had been napping but they called him out of his room when we finally arrived almost an hour late. He gave each of us a hug but had very little to say except that he thought we were not coming. We tried to strike up a conversation but he said he was very tired and wanted to sleep. So our visit lasted 5 minutes and we each hugged again and Rocco and I left. It was sad. I am not going to say that Cisco was trying to guilt us, he really was half asleep. The only part of this situation that I could control is how I react. I think Rocco expected me to cry when the elevator door closed. I did not cry. I put my arms around Rocco and I said. "It's you and me kid. What do you want to do for the rest of this beautiful day?" Rocco smiled. He had many suggestions. He appreciated that I was in control of my emotions. I was not going to let Cisco get to me.

When a couple has a teenager who is an addict, the addict takes control of the household.
In our household that SPELL IS NOW BROKEN. Cisco is no longer in control. For several years we could not go anywhere without worrying. There were many special events that we could not attend. We even cancelled a small but very special trip for our 30th anniversary because of Cisco's problem. It is time to put the control back into our hands. When that elevator door closed and I let Rocco know that Cisco did not have me upset it was a huge difference from my normal reaction. Cisco was not the center of attention; Rocco was. This is my new norm. This is how it should be. The Cisco spell is now broken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I read this post....I see that we all might be guilty of enabling our children and hearing your story shines a new light on my struggles. I am hopeful that I too can break the spell, as you seemed to have done!
Keep writing so I can continue to learn, only another parent seems to understand!
Thank You!

Anonymous said...

I am moved and educated by you. I also look forward to your posts. By hearing what you have gone through and continue to go through, it gives me food for thought and lets me know I am not alone. Thank you. As a single mom, I envy you having each other to lean on for support and to just bounce things off of. That part is difficult in being alone. I have no one to do that with. But your posts give me ideas on what to do and what not to do.

My daughter is extremely manipulative and I hate to admit, has been the one in control since her addiction started. I see it now, but I didn't then. Even in treatment she continues to try and control others around her, even the staff. She is so defiant to authority of any kind and doesn't think the rules apply to her. She thinks rules are stupid and not important and that it is "no big deal" to not follow them. But she is seeing now that regardless of what she thinks of the rules, they will still be there and must still be followed, regardless of what she thinks of them. This is one of her biggest challenges. If she can submit to authority, she may have a chance to make it in the real world. She has a long way to go!

keep posting. I look forward to hearing about Cisco's journey.

Anonymous said...

So help me understand? What do we do with these difficult kids that don't want to grow up & don't want to leave Mommy & Daddy? Manipulation must last forever but there must be a way to move them along without having them think we don't want them or don't love them?
When is our job done and when is it our turn to live a little.
My wife and I work hard and have saved for this vacation but now our son wants to come back home? It doesn't matter that he is 24! How do we break this spell Sally?

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.