Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Mother’s Day Message - written by Brigitte
Posted by:Jenn--Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Yesterday, as I was feasting on an early Mother's Day dinner, cooked and served by my oldest son, Pierre, I reflected on the events of one short year ago.

I vividly remember Francois and I sitting dejectedly in a PSST meeting the day before Mother's Day. Pierre had just been picked up and handcuffed at school and taken to Shuman for violating his probation. He was only one month home from a short-term placement and was already back to using weed. He revealed that his younger brother was using at the house in front of him and was the reason for his relapse. (We found out later this wasn't completely true but didn't know it at the time.) Our youngest son, who has special needs, was being bullied at school and came home with a bloody lip. I remember making a comment about dreading Mother's Day the next day because I felt like a complete failure of a mother.

The PSST members did what they always do best. They lifted us up with their sincere words of comfort and encouragement. They gave us warm hugs and let us know that, not only were we terrific parents, but that we were not alone. Several phoned during the week to check in and sent e-mails to continue to show their support.

Fast forward to yesterday. Francois and I are sitting down to dinner with all three of our boys. Pierre is on a home pass from his placement and was due to go back in a few hours. I had an incredible feeling of peace and joy at being able to enjoy this simple gesture of sharing food together. The setting was light years away from the horrible scenes that took place in our house only one year ago. Each day seems to creep forward towards a better life. We don't know where the future will lead for any of our children, but living with hope is so much better than living in despair.

Thank you to everyone at PSST for sharing your stories, strength and courage with us. We would not have had that beautiful dinner without all of your support.

Happy Mother's Day to all of us!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is very uplifting to hear of peace and progress in your journey. Too often all there is to tell is of turmoil. You are blessed to have a supporting partner to help weather this storm. I hope you can identify that you both have changed along the way towards a healthy way in dealing with this disease. Although we do not know what tomorrow holds, we can savor the calm and as always, for today, that is just good enough.

Violet

Wilma said...

Dear Brigitte,

I am so happy that you had an enjoyable Mother's Day with your boys. Reading your post I do remember your story from last year. Last year we spent mother's day visiting our son at his first placement where he had been for 5 days and was very angry that I "put him there".

I hope you have more days like that.

Take Care.

Wilma

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.