Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



A question from Wilma
Posted by:Sally--Sunday, September 04, 2011

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to make it to the meetings in the last couple of months. However,I have a question for our Parents and Professionals. My 16-year old nephew was recently arrested for possession of a small (according to him) amount of marijauna. He lives in and was busted in the city. He wasn't taken to Shuman but his dad had to pick him up at one of the local police stations. This all happens the day after his mom comes home from the hospital (she was in over a week) after undergoing major abdominal surgery. Of course to him this is all a big joke and he tells his parents that nothing is going to happen to him-basically he thinks he will get off scot-free. He is still posting on his facebook pics of him smoking weed.


I of course am trying to prepare my sister for what possibly will be the reality and that is he may get (hopefully) probation and have a drug and alcohol probation officer. I have also told her he might possibly be sent to an in-patient facilty (we can only hope) I also have been trying to get her to understand that she and her husband can speak up in court when the time comes especially since Cool J has been out of control. There have been many other incidents with him but this is his first arrest. I am also trying to get her to come to a meeting!

So, my question to our parents and pros is this:
Generally, what events/process can my family expect once Cool J's case goes to court. I know every case is different but I thought getting an idea what possibly can happen would be helpful.

The arresting officer did tell the cocky teen that if he is busted again he will become acquainted with Shuman. This is the cousin my son, Bam Bam, recently was hanging out with.

Thanks for any information/advice/thoughts you may have.

Wilma

2 comments:

LH said...

Wilma, I am new to PSST and I have hung in the back ground just to get a feel for all of it. Unfortunately I am not new to all of the problems that I see on here, I am all too familiar with the illegal doings and all that accompany them. My son started doing drugs about 6 years ago when he was in the 7th grade, we live in the suburbs of Pittsburgh, we have been through it all, and have experienced more than I would like to admit. My son has had charges that you speak of, where we live this is a minor violation that comes with a fine of $300, if he didn't have it with the intent to sell and it was a small amount, very little will happen to him. We too hoped the first time that it happened that my son would go to Shuman and would be placed in mandatory re hab, no such luck. It took a serious charge of domestic violence this past January with his now pregnant girl friend who is due any day now to even obtain a PO. After many many attempts of violating his probation, he was finally placed in a re hab facility in May, but then was ejected from the program because his girl friend brought him drugs and he tested positive after strange behavior. After serving 20 days in Shuman, he was sentenced to a stricter re hab facility, Abraxas in Marienville, Cooks Forest, for 5 to 12 months. My whole problem with the juvenile justice system is in most cases they wait it out and here where we live they actually tell you that the child has to commit a serious offense to be placed. I fought with all that I had for many years to get my kid to where he is at right now, the only thing was that they didn't listen to me when I had pleaded with them that he needed to be placed 4 years ago to avoid all that has happened. My son has put our family through hell, not caring what was destroyed in his path of destruction. He has been in Abraxas for 4 months now and it is the longest that he has been clean, it was the best thing that could have happened to him, not to mention his soon to be new born child. I wish you're sister the best of luck, and pray that her son gets the right kind of help that he needs. Marijuana was definitely the "gate way" drug for my son, moving on to anything that would give him a bigger and better high, it is just sad to know that had the juvenile justice system listened to me years ago maybe things wouldn't have gone they way they did and my son could have got help sooner, my pleas fell on deaf ears and so much could have been avoided. Best of luck to you and you're family, you surely are not alone.

Wilma said...

Thank you LH for your post. My sister continues to keep her blinders on. The last i spoke with her she got a letter that her son was being assigned "A" p.o. but didn't have a name or any other information. I am hoping he gets assigned a D & A p.o. so that he will have someone who is experienced with the drug using juvenile offender. So far he doesn't have a court date and I think he is continuing to use.

Best of luck to your son and family.

Wilma

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.