Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



TOUGH DECISIONS
Posted by:Rocco--Wednesday, July 11, 2012

We will be telling our son he can no longer live at home...Help & Support Needed!

I am a recovering woman with 21+ years clean. My family, out of desperation, love, and fear, "protected" (read enabled) me and my addiction for many years. I, of course, was infuriated when my parents finally told me I was on my own, to live or die as I chose, but that they were going to have a life free from the chaos and drama of my disease.

"How could they do that to me if they loved me?" I thought.

I faced reality for the first time, and recognized I was in trouble. As long as they paid my rent and phone bills, bought me food and expensive treatment programs, I never had to see how my life had deteriorated.

I honor my parents for doing what must have been excruciatingly painful and sad ~ separating from my disease, and choosing to get healthy themselves. They provided a beautiful model of how to deal with a grave problem, and, when I was finally ready, I followed their example, and began to get better.

I celebrate, with enormous gratitude, my daily reprieve from the horrors of active addiction into the gorgeous light of freedom.

In loving service ~ Meredith D. ~ Clean date 03.15.91

Condensed from FAMILIES FACING ADDICTION Blog

ARE YOU SICK AND TIRED OF THE CHAOS AND CONFUSION OF YOUR CODEPENDENCY? 

PLEASE COME TO OUR NEXT PSST MEETING AND LEARN TO DEAL WITH YOUR ENABLING BEHAVIORS SO THAT YOU CAN HELP YOUR CHILD TO RECEIVE THE TREATMENT THAT THEY NEED. 

THERE IS NO COST AND NO OBLIGATION AND NOTHING TO LOSE BUT THE INSANITY IN YOUR HOME.


1 comment:

Sally said...

I like what Meredith D. wrote. She was very upset with her parents when they decided to remove themselves from the drama and insanity of addiction.

Rocco, you seem to have a very good grip on this. You saw the light when Cisco went to jail for a few days. We did not co-sign his addiction by bailing him out. (Partly because we did not have the funds to do so but mainly because Cisco needed to suffer the consequences of his actions.)

You have held steadfast and have not enabled him since. I commend you for this and am following your lead.

After Meredith was in full recovery she realized what a gift it was that her parents abandoned her addiction. She is very grateful.

I hope that Cisco comes to this realization in due time.

Thank you for being so strong, Rocco. I am with you on this.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.