Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



PSST Mom from Across the Border ~ Recommends a Book
Posted by:Sally--Sunday, January 23, 2011

I would like to recommend the following book. It is not a book at all related to parenting teenagers with addiction issues but it is a book that provides some excellent techniques and skills for interacting with them.

How to Deal With Your Acting up Teenager: Practical Help for Desperate Parents by Robert T. Bayard

I think we all tend to forget that not all of our addicted teen's behavior is related to their drug-addiction; some of their behavior is what one would expect to see from a non-addicted teen. That being said, this book provides very practical skills for dealing with the kind of manipulation that all teenagers use and drug-addicted teens have perfected.~Joy Y.

4 comments:

Max said...

I have had this book by my bedside for about 4 years. Very useful information. A good companion to PSST!

Joy Y. said...

I wish I had read this book 4 years ago and learned the power then of an "and statement".

Max said...

I tried the "and" statements. I must say, I prefer the "never the less" statements we use here. But no harm will come to those who say "and"!! My favorite part of the book was where it helps you decide which is YOUR problem, and which belongs on the kid pile. That has really helped me.

Joy Y. said...

I agree, Max...learning what was on the kid pile and not MY pile was "parent's liberation" and continues to be so.

I like the idea of "never the less" statements to offer some variety to "and" statements (especially when the request is close to having been repeated 10 times).

Even in my professional interactions, I no longer use "but".

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.