Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Using Words That Matter
Posted by:Sally--Monday, August 16, 2010


Cisco called me at work the other day and wanted the password to get on our home computer.
I said "I am not comfortable with that'.
He said "Why? I am only going to check my email."

I repeated my sentence only two more times in a low, calm voice and he said
"all right" without any resentment.
It is very COOL how that works!
I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT are powerful words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel I must comment here to let parents know that I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT actually does work.

Pebbles wanted to watch MTV, which we had blocked from our TVs.

Pebbles in her sweet voice, Mom can you unblock MTV so that I can watch this one show and then you can block it again. No, Pebbles I cannot. Mom, PLEASE, just this one show. No Pebbles. Mom, why not? There it is Pebbles trying to debate with me why she cannot watch MTV. Pebbles, I AM NOT COMFORTABLE with you watching MTV. Dead silence from Pebbles!

I have learned to modify my behavior towards Pebbles and not to engage Pebbles in arguments/debates, I have NEVER been able to have dead silence!

Sally said...

Silence is Golden... isn't it?

I was amused and amazed the first time I AM NOT COMFORTABLE WITH THAT worked for me.

When you find out that the power words and techniques on this post work you know you are on the right track with disciplining your teen.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.