Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Roxie's Rodeo - by Roxie
Posted by:Jenn--Sunday, April 28, 2013



In 2007, I was a proud mom watching my twins, Lena and Lenny, win their state’s Bible Quiz Championship. Obtaining that winning spot resulted in them participating on the national level in Missouri. One of the highlights of the Bible Quiz trip was their visit to the Dolly Parton Dixie Stampede and Rodeo in Branson, MO. Little Lenny watched in amazement while the clowns distracted the angry bulls, and cowboys held the reins for dear life.

Six years later in 2013, Roxie’s Rodeo featuring Lightning Lenny would be the weekly attraction in my own home.   The bang-up rodeo recently began when Lenny’s teacher contacted the sheriff dude, Lenny’s Probation Officer, explaining that he was not on task or completing the schoolwork assigned. The message was relayed to me, and I assured the PO that I would go through the mill in order to fix the situation. Surprisingly, Lenny threatened to go to juvenile jail before apologizing to the teacher, or even turning in the homework. My vivid imagination flashed to where the jig was up. I imagined Lenny played out, shackled, handcuffed in an orange jumpsuit with brown plastic sandals and gray socks in jail.


From 10:30pm until 11pm, I begged, demanded, pleaded, and gave up the gun for Lenny to:        
        1. Apologize to the teacher
        2. Give her the completed homework assignment
        3. Shut his bazoo

He was adamant about heading to jail before following any of the three requests above. Lenny didn’t mind being in a heap of trouble, and went to bed with me unable to break his will.
 
The next morning, while he conducted his usual routine in getting ready for school, I again urged him not to shoot his mouth off to the teacher. Five minutes before leaving the house, Lenny exclaimed, “I’ve changed my mind, mom. It’s not worth the consequences so I’ll talk to the teacher and turn in my paper today. See you later.” He shut the door and caught the school bus.

Feeling like I was over my head in rising manure-infested water, I fetched the sheriff dude for advice. “You needed to take the bull by the horns, and you did. You took a stand, did not budge, and he finally came around to seeing things more sensibly,” he encouragingly stated. As a limp-wristed mom, I felt empowered that I strong-armed Lenny to see things my way. He actually listened like a horse with an unbridled bit in his mouth. As parents, we need to get back in the saddle each time our unruly buck tries to keep us from riding. Remember that you have the power and control the reins.

Before Lenny moves to another feeding trough, I will nurture, care for, and attempt to break him into a prize-winning stallion that a young filly would be proud of. It is one of Roxie’s goals before her life is over, and she is eventually put out to pasture.


No comments:

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.