Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Marijuana. . . Where the Trouble Begins.
Posted by:Sally--Monday, April 23, 2012

Where did this picture come from?
We have attended a few of your meetings in the past, I need to get back to them to know that I am not alone… My story began two years ago- my son started using marijuana. Then the troubles began…… He started stealing from our house, stealing from his siblings-on to stealing from Greentree pool, locker room at school.-You know the story…. We have been through Ridgeview, Gateway Aliquippa in patient, Gateway Outpatient, Mercy Behavioral, WPIC program, Abraxas DNA in Erie…. THe had just got out of Abraxas on February 14th- We truly thought he was “fixed” – he was getting good grades, participated in the program fully with good marks. We saw such an improvement, even my fiancĂ© thought this time was it! He went back to Keystone Oaks- AWESOME grades, lots of Bravo emails from Teachers and principals. He fails a test- positive for Marijuana- okay- we can deal with this. The outpatient team at Gateway and his PO said he could have a chance since he was doing so good. A few weeks later he takes my car- gets a GPS ankle bracelet on 4/3 thru vision quest. 4/4 comes- he seems okay- another bravo call from vice principal. I am cooking dinner, as it is done I go to tell him its done, he is NOT in his room. As I am coming down the steps the phone is ringing it is Vision Quest- My son is shown to be on Saw Mill Run Blvd- HE TOOK MY CAR AGAIN. He cut the bracelet off and thru out the window. Our search begins- (mind you, I just had surgery too) Our car now reported stolen, he is only 15. After we get home we notice our safe is gone- it has my fiancĂ©s gun in it. He is a retired Nacotics officer(yes, what a coincidence ) Along with our laptop. We had searched and searched for a week and a half every sighting that someone would call us about – we ended up there too late. My oldest son got a call he was at burger king- he ran up there- held his brother, called me- I called 911- He kicked him and ran. We are off again…. A few days later we get a call from Pittsburgh Police that our car was found near PNC park- and was towed Come to find out the engine is blown! Well two more days go by – I get a call at 2am from Baldwin Police- they have him. HOWEVER – he has now stolen a truck of a person that went into a convenient store and left vehicle running. He also wrecked the truck into another vehicle and was caught with his friend at eat n park where they walked on the check. He told Baldwin officers where he sold the gun- to a not so good kid! The police recovered the gun AMEN! My son had court last week – verdict postponed until May 15th when the final charges come thru from Baldwin. I am hearing that he may get sent to Abraxas LDP for 8 months and his drivers license could be suspended for 6 years! Do you have any advice? I feel like a failure. The PO and Judge of course have tried to re assure us that we have done everything we can. We have been so involved in his recovery however I guess you just feel like something is missing as a parent. He is the sweetest kid, I am almost thinking there is just something mentally wrong with him. He does have ADD/ADHD- His father was an addict- he passed away 2 years ago. He was my son's hero of course… K-

7 comments:

Sally said...

Dear K-

Rocco and I have been dealing with the problem of addiction for 5-6 years now. I know the hurt you are going through. It is especially painful when the addict has a period where he does exceptionally well and then reverts to negative behavior.

One of our top defenses at this time is to detach with love. I really hope to see you at the next meeting, it will do you good.

Lloyd Woodward said...

Thanks for sharing your story. The details are unbelievable yet because drugs are involved all too believable.

One of the things that parents in our group talk about is how important it is to take care of yourself. In the midst of all this craziness, step back, ask yourselves what do you need? Take steps to insure that you stay healthy.

It might feel like you're giving up but taking care of yourself first and addressing your addict second is not giving up. It's like putting the oxygen mask on first if your plane gets into trouble. If you don't keep oxygen flowing to your self, you're not going to help the child or adult sitting next to you.

This is a family disease. Everyone is affected and everyone gets sick. The more you focus on fixing the one who has the drug problem to the exclusion of your own needs, the sicker you become. It's hard to do, but step back and ask yourself what do you need? Make that priority number one and you'll be stronger when it comes to giving help to your teenager.

Anonymous said...

Dear K,
We can all relate to your feelings of hopelessness, failure, anger and fear for your child. Parts of your story could be any of ours.

You and your fiance sound like a strong, united team. You are probably on to something to suspect a mental health issue in addition to the addiction.

Brigitte

I do encourage you to come to a meeting for support and encouragement. Knowing there are others who understand and do not judge is huge.

Cheryl, Jim, Andy + 3 Stooges said...

I believe our son has a twin. We know the heavy heart you are carrying but remember: You didn't cause this disease or behavior. You can't cure it and you certainly can't control it.
Our son who is awaiting felony charges (in adult system-he is now 19)is in his 8 placement since June 2010. He walked away from court ordered 1/2 way house + raves + alcohol = 2 stolen cars, high speed police chases = 2 wrecked cars (one a Mercedes).

We do have a mental health diagnosis now that he is over 18 and as we look back on his life and behavior as young as 3 yrs of age it all makes sense and is so very very sad at the same time.

Jim & I have come to the conclusion that we can't want Andy's recovery more than him and we can work his program more than him. We no longer will go 'toe-to-toe' with him but will stand beside him as his life unfolds. Our family has been divided - as I'm am sure yours has. Andy has three amazing older brothers who barely acknowledge his existence on this planet. They say TIME heals all wounds...it will take many many years for us to have a complete family again.

However, Andy - TODAY - is clean for 9 months (longest ever since he was 13)again in a 1/2 Way House & looking forward to finding a part-time job and some day living on his own. He will no longer live in our family home...we have to take care of ourselves FIRST!

No matter where Andy ends up...WE WILL ALWAYS BE HIS PARENTS. Be patient with your son...the consequences and results of the recent event are out of your hands. Your son and our son do deserve your unconditional love...we are all they have.

Wilma said...

Dear K,

Everone is right you need to take care of yourself and do things for yourself. I came home tonight after going to water aerobics after having been away from it for awhile due to skin cancer surgery and treatment. Even when I was cleared to go back to the pool with everything going on in our home I was usually so exhausted emotionally that once I got home from work I didn't want to leave the house.
We have had a horrendous week with my son, Bam Bam, and for the last couple days I have felt like I was going to have either a heart attack or stroke but tonight I actually felt pretty good and that I could deal with the situation a little better. Bam Bam, like your son, is in VQ and monitered 24/7 gps. However, he has been breaking rules and was supposed to have a week-long sanction at VQ boot camp. I was called yesterday and was told VQ boot camp didn't have space for him this week. To say I was devasted is an understatement-I really needed him to be out of the house. Now we have to wait until tomorrow to see what his p.o. and VQ will decide s next.


Know that you are not alone. You have done everything that you know how for your son. To paraphrase words from a wonderful friend you have set the buffet before your son and it is up to him to choose.

Take Care.

Wilma

Jenn said...

It sounds like you are working so very hard to help your son, yet you say that you feel like a failure. Those are such familiar feelings - my husband and I have often felt the same. But then we remind ourselves that we cannot work our son's program for him. We can't always protect him from himself and his poor decisions. But we CAN hold him accountable for his behavior, do our best to get our family the help that we need, never give up hope that he will turn his life around, and never stop loving him.

The Serenity Prayer is one of my all-time favorites - God grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, and the Wisdom to know the difference. I've recited it so many times when my heart is heavy with worry.

Both my husband and I credit the PSST group with helping us to find some measure of all three - Serenity, Courage, and Wisdom. Not that we have all the answers, but each week at PSST meetings we continually find new hope and renewed energy for our journey. Please join us!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Dear K,
My son went through many programs as well. He too, was successfully discharged from Abraxas D&A in Erie in Jan. this year. He did great there. I also thought maybe this time made a difference, but he soon got back to some of his old ways. My son’s father has not been involved in his life for several years, and I believe my son is in a lot of pain over this. We never seem to really address this in all of his therapies because he doesn’t want too, and we always seem to have to discuss the current issues that go on instead while his feelings just get shoved deeper inside. But recently, with a new therapist, they are starting to come out. Yesterday he told me he started think about his dad after a session and actually started crying. I told him that is such good news to hear that he could cry. I think our children’s absent parent plays such a big role in their well being, even when we may think they are better off without them. It sounds to me like maybe your son also needs to get his pain out as well. I feel your pain. I do try and take it one day at a time, and some days are good and some aren’t.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.