Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Marijuana and its Synthetic Counterparts: A Look at a New Study - Sarit Rogers
Posted by:Rocco--Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Marijuana and its Synthetic Counterparts: A Look at a New Study
© Copyright 2012 VISIONSTEEN.COM

- Sarit Rogers of Visions Adolescent Treatment Centers

Click here to go to Visions Blog


- December 21st, 2011 - Part one of a three-part blog, wherein I will begin to address the use of marijuana and synthetic marijuana. Stay tuned for parts 2 and 3, where I will address the increase in prescription drug and hookah use.

Recent studies elicited by Monitoring the Future (MTF) show a decrease in alcohol consumption and tobacco use; at the same time, they found an increase in the use of alternate tobacco products (hookah, small cigars, smokeless tobacco), marijuana, and prescription drugs.

One explanation for the increase in marijuana consumption is a lower perceived risk:

“In recent years, fewer teens report seeing much danger associated with its use, even with regular use.”

The call to legalize marijuana has also contributed to this new perception by extinguishing some of the associated stigma.

As a result, we are seeing a denial of risk and a decline in disapproval amongst our adolescent counterparts. There seems to be a viable change in societal norms occurring at the adolescent level.

No longer is marijuana use relegated to the “losers,” but rather it is now part and parcel to one’s normative social interactions with anyone, regardless of socio-economic status.

With the advent of synthetic marijuana, the perception of danger has been further clouded by the sheer fact that these synthetic substances can be purchased almost anywhere. The surge in the use of synthetic marijuana products like Spice and K2 has created a maelstrom of reported symptoms which include:

- paranoia

- loss of consciousness

- hallucinations

- psychotic episodes

We currently see more and more kids coming into treatment with a history of Spice and K2 use. And Gil Kerlikoeske, Director of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy (ONDCP) points out that, “Poison control center data across America has shown a substantial rise in the number of calls from victims suffering serious consequences from these synthetic drugs.”

Currently, the House has voted on a ban of synthetic drugs like Spice, K2, bath salts, et cetera, asking that it be added to the “highly restrictive Schedule 1 of the Controlled Substances Act.” So far, approximately 40 states have passed laws which criminalize Spice and other synthetic substances.

Whether banned or not, there needs to be open dialogue about Spice and K2 and its various counterparts. These synthetics are popping up faster than the DEA can regulate them, proving that the drug environment is changing before our eyes.

As such, it’s imperative we stay fluent in the language of our teens, and the social environments in which they operate.

We all know the “thrill of the high” is often associated with the verboten nature of its purchase and consumption. Open dialogue removes the mystery, and frankly, it’s not enough to rely upon the justice system to provide the answers.

© Copyright 2012 VISIONSTEEN.COM

Click here to go to Visions Blog

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Thank you Rocco for keeping us informed about K2 spice. As you may know, Herman has been abusing spice since 10/2010,and has consistently tested clean, not having a dirty test since 9/2010.His favorite blend is Black Magic. Roger and I are almost certain that he has a cross addiction issue with it presently.

Recently, our top notch PO surprised Herman with a K2 spice instant dip screen. The results were highly suspicious,presenting
with a very faint almost nonexistant line, and was a very slow developing negative. Although not court worthy,it was the general consensus that it was an "informal positive." My feeling was that the K2 metabolites were slightly below the cut off threshold for the test.There is also a 72 hour window of use that the test must be administered in.

Being a scientist/detective at heart, I decided to buy my own K2 spice instant tests, to conduct my own research/undercover work. I had to order bulk,the minimum was 25 tests, and the shipping was free. I should receive my "plain brown wrapped parcel" in the mail sometime soon, because it shipped today.

I plan on testing myself first, to get a baseline. I take no medications and lead a pretty healthy (physically not mentally) lifestyle. In doing so, I can get a baseline as what a true negative looks like, and how long it takes to develop. The total cost of the 24 chances to screen (bust) Herman was 187.50. I am hoping that when he realizes I can screen him for about 24 weeks, it will deter him from smoking it. Herman is required to leave our home by 7/1/2012, thus he will be frequently tested while living with us.

If Herman ends up testing positive before I use up my tests, I will donate the remainder to PSST.

I will keep you posted.

Jessica

Wilma said...

Bam Bam, too, was surprised yesterday with a k-2 test by his P.O. and the results were very similar to Herman's. Initially, Bam's test was definitely positive then a faint line appeared. Fred and I were stunned. Bam has admitted to using spice but "way in the past." However, he 'fessed up to "accidently" using spice recently. His story was changing faster than you can blink! But the one "fact" he stuck to was that it was "accidental". He was smoking tobacco with friends from "an old man's pipe" vs a bong. Why not just smoke cigarettes? After smoking the friend "supposedly" said that, oops, I smoked spice in this before so there may be some residue left. Well, I am no expert but I don't think smoking spice residue several weeks ago would cause a test that has a 72 hour window to show blank to faint line. I would think there would be a darker line to indicate negative immediately. And smoking spice is a violation of Bam's consent decree. We are waiting for the verdict to come in on Bam's fate but I can say I was happy this test is available. My guess is Bam, knowing it couldn't be tested for, was smoking spice in addition to cigs and chewing tobacco, maybe mixing it with both of these. The element of surprise was great. He was demanding a re-test to prove that he was right and negative. Such righteous indignation! However, he did not get his way. Whatever the outcome ends up being, administering this test got a CON-FESSION out of Bam.
Thanks Rocco for this great post and Jessica for your informative comment. Can you share where you get the tests?

Wilma

Jessica said...

I ordered my "Value Pack" of K2 spice tests from Drug Tests in Bulk, whose website is drugtestsinbulk.com. They shipped on Monday 3/12, so I expect them soon. I also find that the extremely faint test line (to the point of being almost nonexistant) as significant. When Herman was regularly smoking weed, and the was forced into a brief cessation, his drug screens got progressively lighter until he finally tested clean. In both of our cases there were also shady behaviors as well, which to me only adds to an informal confirmation that this was a positive. As I said, I plan on screening myself, and am curious to see the appearance of a true negative.

These near misses only empower and encourage Herman to continue smoking spice, because he feels he can beat the system. The 72 hour window requires a timely administered screen. I am sure he will be very surprised when I pull out one on him when the timing is right.

I will keep you posted on my "research".

Jessica

Wilma said...

Jessica,
Thanks for the info! I am considering investing, too. I think Bam Bam also will be encouraged to smoke spice with the small window of which he is well aware. He can light up as soon as the P.O. leaves after administering the test (after leaving the house of course) and take a break for a few days for it to leave his system. However, if I am testing say two days after the P.O. and couple days after that the 72 hour window will close.
Bam Bam did get a stay of execution this week end. The verdict came in as NEGATIVE so he did not get to enjoy the hospitality of Shuman Resort.

Wilma

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.