Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Bam Bam's EHM is Off Again, On Again - By Wilma
Posted by:Sally--Sunday, March 04, 2012

A lot can happen in a week (have I said this before?). Bam Bam was reaching the end of his EHM sentence and getting very antsy. He was bugging us to call and find out if they were coming on Friday 2/24 to bust him loose. I told him to call himself which he did, though I don't know how many times he may have called. He was also pestering his P.O. The day before the BIG DAY we had our weekly meeting with Bam and his P.O. about rules and expectations following his release. Bam Bam WAS NOT happy when P.O. told him he is not to associate with people actively using (though I don't know how we can prove this point) and he was not to be found hanging out at Eddie's house (the known social hosting house where anything goes). Also told he has to follow his court ordered curfew and some other stuff. He told us all that he was just going to use the next day as Eddie is his ONLY friend and he just can't give him up! This is NOT FAIR! Bam Bam had his stormy, I'm not listening to any of you look on his face. We tried talking to him about how well he's done, doing good in school and that he is going to be pretty busy anyway what with the community service he hasn't started, some school commitments and looking for (and hopefully getting) a job. Bam Bam was having nothing to do with this. I thought for sure when the p.o. left something was getting broken or he would run. Drug tests were good and before the P.O. left our Service Coordinator from another agency came to the house. Since Bam is on probation the service coordinator has to meet with him every 14 days. Since he was not happy with our p.o. meeting he was not cooperative with svc coord so nothing was accomplished. I again thought after she leaves something is getting broken but miraculously there was no property damage or any physical altercations. Friday arrives. I am at work where I get very sad news about the death my cousin. Then I come home where Bam has the bracelet off and EHM has picked up the monitoring device. He is ready to split. His court ordered curfew (from the JUDGE) is 11:00 friday and saturday and 9:00 sun-thursday. Well, he comes home at midnight Friday and calls Fred after midnight on Saturday to pick him up. His interpretation of his curfew is midnight on weekends and 10 on school nights. what courtroom was he in? I also had seen on his facebook page announcing a party at another questionable house for Saturday night. Bam is having a great weekend now that he is a free bird. You might say just tell him to stay home but I can't physically control him and he doesn't listen. We will have to see what he does with the rope he has.

Monday the whole family attends the funeral and then I take Bam to his outpatient appointment where afterwards I dropped him off for practice. He doesn't come home until 10. He again gets clear instructions from his P.O. on what his curfew is. Tuesday he is just not feeling well so he goes to school late. When I get home around 5, however, he is much better and planning on going to the basketball game. Fred gives him $15 for the occasion. The game starts 8-8:30 and curfew is 9:00 why bother going? It's also at a different school. And I know that he isn't really interested in going to watch a basketball game and most likely has other plans. Well, Bam says, the judge said he doesn't have to follow curfew for special occasions and this is a special occasion. Hmmm, I don't think this is what he meant. I text the P.O. who confirms THIS IS NOT an allowed activity and he sends a very clear text to Bam and forwards to me what is allowed. Bam leaves anyway with an unknown driver and Eddie. Later Fred gets a call to pick up Bam on the road Eddie lives on. Bam said the unknown driver dropped him off in front of Eddie's house but he didn't go in and started walking home. Does he think we are that stupid? Wednesday Bam is just too sick to go to school but I tell him he has to go to to his psychiatrist appointment otherwise he will not be able to get his medications so he goes. While in the waiting room he is on the phone making plans to chill with Gordon. I tell him he is not chillin with anyone-he didn't go to school he goes home. After the appointment we aren't even in the car yet and the argument begins. Then he switches his story to he has to meet with a group member to work on his project. I tell him I don't believe him, he starts yelling that I called him a liar (which I did not use that word). Meanwhile, I am driving across town in rush hour traffic hoping we don't kill someone if he gets really mad and grabs the stearing wheel. I'm exhausted from the week we've been having and start crying. That gets Bam worked up. I tell him to just stop talking but he can't. He gets even madder when I won't pick him up something at McDonald's. By the time we are almost home I can't take it anymore and drop him off in the neighborhood he says his group member lives but I KNOW doesn't. Says he'll be home by 6 (it's 5:15). He is in the neighborhood where the party was on Saturday. When he isn't home after a few hours I call the project partner's house and there is no answer. Then i call the party host's house and ask if Bam is or was there. Lo and behold he had been there but isn't now. The mom and his friend aren't there either, supposedly. He gets home late again.
Here we are, the next Thursday, Bam Bam is too sick to go to school so Fred takes him to the doctor. P.O. has let him and me know that he is not under any circumstances to leave the house beginning thursday through the weekend. The message was very clear leaving no room for misinterpretation. bam bam tells me the DOCTOR said he could go out after a couple days. Now, he has just been diagnosed with the flu, is still contagious and is suppossed to getting as much rest as possible. What? I tell him P.O. says no way and he has already been informed of this. I text P.O. to let him know Bam Bam is again making his own interpretation of the rules and of course making his own rules. Bam is really p!$$d so he takes off in shorts, t-shirt and can of chew. He stays out for five hours before returning home at 10:30. I check the activity on his cell phone on the carrier's website and can see he is calling and texting his friends. Interesting, I thought he only had one-Eddie! Now its Friday again and Bam Bam is either being placed on EHM (phone calls) or spending the weekend at Shuman Resort. We would have to transport him to the detention center and as I didn't feel we could safely pull this off Bam Bam is once again on house arrest, this time for two weeks. I really felt that spending the weekend at Shuman would have made an impact on Bam Bam, demonstrating to him that we, none of us, are playing games. However, as a wise person once said, he will get another chance.

Wilma

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Wilma, I am very sorry to hear about the death of your cousin. It must be very difficult, especially in light of what is going on with Bam.

In reading your post, I was glad to see that Bam is not happy with his PO. Now, as in basketball, you have the ever powerful "full court press" defensive stategy. You have the opportunity to apply a zone defense, not allowing Bam to get "down the court" (or in your case hopefully "to the court" for a walk in hearing at Shuman). This involves a strong united front of all team members, coordinated by your communications. It seems that Bam is still foolishly thinking you will tire out and forfeit...but you have a very valuable "point guard" this time, your PO. It would appear that a visit to the Shuman resort is in Bam's very near future.
I have found that texting and emailing your "team" are also good way of documenting the chronology of events, and keeping things straight in your mind.

The really nice thing about the Shuman resort, is that it tends to "soften" its guests with each visit.

Also, I thought of you when I was checking out Herman's internet history. Not surprisingly, he was checking out the various marijuana/spice sites, but I noticed a site for "Fruity Pebbles Weed". It is supposedly lighter in color, and smells and tastes like the the cereal. Perhaps there is a Bam Bam variety as well, noted for it's incredible super strength :-)

I know what you are doing is not easy, but you are doing a good job "controlling the ball"

Jessica

Wilma said...

Jessica,
Thank you for your kind words and inspiration.
This was a recent text from one of Bam's buddies right after he got his ankle bracelet "juicy fruit hmu if u need any." In my day it was just "weed" or "pot". I can't beleive how many different names and varieties there are. And if not for my good friend, urbandictionary.com, I would not know that juicy fruit or fruity pebbles weren't gum and cereal!

Bam is feeling the full-court press and it will be interesting to see how he handles it these next couple weeks on ehm. Part of me wonders if he is deliberately sabatoging himself. I know that he owes some people money and he had the house arrest as an excuse to not come up with the cash. I had seen text messages about this on his phone. This way its not him deciding to stay home. It's everybody else controlling and ruining his life.
One of the really sad things is he is really smart, his grades (except for gym) are really good right now and he is 3 months from graduating and turning 18 but he keeps making these poor decisions that will completly negate the good stuff.

So we are taking it one day at a time....

Wilma

Anonymous said...

I also would like to express my sympathies to you on the recent death of your cousin. I know myself wonders just how much can one handle all at the same time. I surely have no advice for you as I am fairly new to this website but wanted to let you know what an inspiration you have been to me to keep going on in spite of the dips and bends. Bam Bam and Pebbles have a lot in common including the period of time before turning 18 and the fact that they are intellectually smart with no common sense on what to do with it. I do believe that it will be all worth it. I have to say I have an older daughter who I tried to save and did as much as possible while I had the time before her 18 magical birthday. I was not able to help her like I hoped but the effort and support helped me deal with the years that followed. Sometimes they do not get clean but we learn how to make the best with our lives in spite of it. One child at a time; one day at a time. Betty

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.