Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Letter to the Judge by a concerned PSST parent.
Posted by:Lloyd Woodward--Saturday, June 19, 2010


At our meeting in Mt. Lebanon today one of our parents offered to share this letter that she gave to the Judge at her son's hearing. Her son continues in inpatient treatment for mental health/ drug abuse treatment. This is a reacurring theme at PSST: the system works best when parents stand up and advocate for the services that their teenagers need.


March 1, 2010


William is my only son, and it goes without saying that I love him and only want what is best for him. Over the past few weeks and months, his irrational behavior has escalated to the point where I have feared for his own safety as well as my own and others. His father expressed a concern to “keep an eye on William because I am afraid he is going to hurt himself”.


I face daily constant defiance; lack of respect, abusive language and at times an uncontrollable anger and rage that usually culminates in some form of physical destruction to my home. Any attempt to reprimand his actions or control him only escalates his anger to sometimes-frightening proportions.

Within the past month I have had the opportunity to consult with many behavioral authorities in various professions. Their opinions of his mental and emotional instabilities have reinforced my own feelings that William is in extreme need of professional mental health care, such as he would receive in a therapeutic residential facility.

I would only be comfortable bringing him home after his mental health issues are addressed.

Editors note: read an earlier posted letter to the Judge that a PSST parent read at her son's hearing: Your Honor, today I speak as a concerned and loving parent...


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello to all our PSST parents from the mom who wrote this previous letter. It was really powerful reading this letter and knowing I would have never been able to read this to the judge without the support from this group. Yes-it was hard but I feel sending my son away for 90 days saved his life! He is approaching 3 years clean and every day of clean time is a blessing. It is still a rough road but for each clean day I am thankful....Good luck to all of you...Stay strong...

Lloyd Woodward said...

To clear up any confusion: the previous comment is written by the mom who wrote "Your Honor, today I speak as a concerned and loving parent..."

There is a link in the current post that takes you to this letter.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.