Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



Sayings that Help
Posted by:Ken Sutton--Sunday, November 30, 2008

We learn a lot in the PSST meetings. Often, some of the key ideas get distilled into a sentence that makes complete sense in its conciseness and clarity. For example:

“Holding resentment is like taking poison and hoping the other person dies.”

Sometimes, outside of the PSST meetings, you may come upon a grain of wisdom that you are sure was about dealing with addiction, but in fact it is just a universal truth that applies. Some of my favorites:

“Actions don't spring from thoughts but from readiness for responsibility.”
-Deitrich Bonhoffer

“Appeasers believe that if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will become a vegetarian.”
-Heywood Broun

OK. Time for you to get involved. Share the sayings that mean the most to you, that have been helpful, that turned on the light, that helped you “get it”. Share the one you cling to, the one that shows you due North in this struggle. Share it if someone else wrote or said it or if you thought it up. It doesn’t matter. It may help a parent in the group now or someone who reads this blog 10 years from now. Leave a comment or send an email and I will post it.



4 comments:

Lloyd Woodward said...

Caution: being nice to an addict may be toxic.

Lloyd Woodward said...

If you want the power take the blame. If you take the blame you get the credit.

Lloyd Woodward said...

Now means now.

Anonymous said...

Three words have helped me immensely...ACCEPTANCE, GRATITUDE and HOPE.

ACCEPTING others for who they are brought peace to my life. How can I be resentful or angry if I accept people as they are? I believe people are doing the best they can and who am I to judge them?

GRATITUDE is a great feeling! I am grateful for many things in my life. I focus on what I have, not what I don't have.

HOPE. Without hope, life can be frightening. As far as our addicts go, if there is a heartbeat, there is still hope....

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.