Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



As Probation Officers people expect a lot from us...
Posted by:Lloyd Woodward--Saturday, September 04, 2010

Rightly so. People trust us. We have their loved ones in our hands. We are important to people. But sometimes we screw up. We forget to call people back and there is no good excuse- except that we just screw up sometimes.





I'm not saying it happens because I am too busy. I'm not saying it happens because I get burned out on people's issues. I think if I'm honest with myself know that I am sometimes lazy. I think someone else has that base covered. I tell myself that the representative from the treatment program or the family therapist has already had that conversation with my client anyways.

Sometimes at PSST it can look like I'm the coolest PO on the planet. Trust me here when I say, I'm not always. Sometimes I'm far from it. It's a long distance race and I have been known to pace myself at the wrong time. If you're the person waiting for a call back and you have serious issues, that doesn't mean much to you.

If you are the recipient of a phone call that was not returned promptly, especially at a critical time, please try not to take it personal and yet even as I write the words I know that you will take it personal because this is ALL PERSONAL. My point is that it was not intentional. No excuses intended.

When it happens let me know. Tell me I should do better. Tell me you are not comfortable with the response time or if it's the quality of the work- please tell me that too. Hopefully, I can make amends.

If you are someone that I have not called back in a timely way, or perhaps I neglected to return your call, please know that I am sorry.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the parent of a child formerly on probation with you as "our" probation officer..I can honestly say that you were the coolest PO on the planet! My son probably would not agree, but you went far above and beyond for us and I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for all the late night phone calls and visits and help when we needed it the most! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

My son [unfortunately] had a probation officer from Washington County about 2-3 years ago. This person BARELY made their presence known, let alone tried to get to know our family. I am extremely grateful for the support and everything in between that I receive from you. Do not beat yourself up over a phone call that didn't happen, or should've happened sooner. We are all human, and we all make mistakes. Yes, it is horrible to be on the waiting end of things. But I have learned expect the worst, and whatever you end up receiving is always better than what you are anticipating. I'm sure you have been on the waiting end of things many times yourself, and we as parent(s)/guardians, have disappointed you many times too. And for that I apologize to you from all of us!

Anonymous said...

We do expect a lot from you and 99 times out of a hundred you deliver. This is an excellent record for anyone :-)

Anonymous said...

Lloyd,

Sure-- you may have missed a phone call or two from us but you sure made time to help get our son up in the morning and show up for a couple of hearings when he got himself into more trouble. For that we are grateful and appreciate your time and dedication to helping the kids as well as the parents. Thanks for everything especially PSST! Debby

Rocco said...

Lloyd, I cannot even imagine where we would be today without you and Val and Cathy and Kathie. You guys have been there for us step by step. Thanks for all you do. Rocco and Sally

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.