Quote of the Week


"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way" ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.



My Date with the Drug Detection Dog - Wilma, a PSST Mom
Posted by:Rocco--Thursday, June 16, 2011


My Date with the Drug Detection Dog

As I have posted on the blog my (newly) 17 year old son, Bam Bam, is in an adolescent inpatient recovery facility. A few weeks ago we found out that he would probably be getting a home pass. Bam Bam was REALLY anxious for this to happen.

I wasn't sure if this was because he missed being at home, missed his dog, (us??) and all that was familiar to him - OR - did it mean that he had some hidden stash he didn't want me to find.

I decided that before he was back in the house again I needed to know.

My local police department does not have a drug sniffing dog [When I called them, the dispatcher said I was the first person to ever ask her about drug sniffing dog and thought it was a good idea.]

So I called the Allegheny County Police who told me they only had an explosives dog. The officer who answered my call sounded a little suspicious when I asked about the drug detection dog but relaxed when I told him what I needed it for.

I tried the sheriff's department but got stuck in the "punch 1, punch 2", you get the drift and never got to talk to a person.

I mentioned this at a PSST meeting and Deputy Jessica (aka DJ Jess) gave me the number for "Scent-Tech" Detection Canines. I called them and got an appointment for the day after Memorial Day.

When I called for the appointment I was asked if I wanted a marked or an unmarked car. I chose the unmarked car as I have an extremely annoying neighbor and wanted this visit under the radar in case the nebby neighbor was home. Two men accompanied the adorable black lab who would be searching for controlled substances in my home. I had a couple of tins that had suspicous smells I had found on my search of Bam's room and one of the men confirmed they smelled like weed had been in them at one time.

The search started with my son's room and that is where the team spent the most time. They moved on to the rest of the house and also searched outside.
They didn't find a hidden stash.

I had mixed feelings about this. One part of me was hoping they would find a nice size stash that I could add to my evidence locker. While another part of me was so relieved that there were no drugs hidden in some corner of my house that I never would have found but Bam Bam would have taken out of hiding at the first opportunity.

The owner told me they usually do searches of facilities and I think I may have been their first parent to call for checking the house before a child comes home from inpatient recovery.

For anybody interested the cost was $150 and well worth it.

I wondered if I should of had the marked vehicle come and drive around the neighborhood like an ice cream truck (and maybe paid extra to cruise past a certain house!) if it would made any of the teens a little nervous! Might have given some parents something to think about, too.

Scent-Tech Detection Canines can be reached at 724-203-9226.
Scent-Tech, Inc. works with Labradors as Bomb, Weapon and Narcotic Detection Dogs, and currently has 8 active detection dogs, working in this field


Wilma

3 comments:

Wilma said...

Rocco,
I love the graphic!! The dog looks like he could be Storm's brother.

Wilma

Joy Y. said...

What I like most about what you write. Rocco, is the position of strength that you write from; there was NO DOUBT in your mind whatsoever that it was your right to know whether Bam Bam had a stash of dope in your house.

Wilma said...

At the last meeting when I talked about the drug dog I was asked what the company would have done if they found any drugs and our pros said that they probably would have called the police and turned it over to them. I actually hadn't asked about what would happen in this eventuality so didn't really know. And of course no drugs were found. In thinking about it I guess I expected that if any drugs were found the company would give them to me and I would have locked them up in my lock box in case I needed the evidence at some point in time.

Credits

This layout (edited by Ken) made by and copyright cmbs.